By Dialogo March 08, 2012 The head of the U.S. Southern Command, General Douglas Fraser, predicted on March 6 that the Armed Forces will continue to play a key role in the fight against organized crime in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador, in response to “alarming increases in murders and brutality.” “We expect militaries in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador will continue to be called upon to play an important role in domestic security matters in the coming years,” Fraser said in testimony to the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee. The Military commander recalled that according to UN figures, Central America has become the most violent region in the world, and within the region, Honduras is the hardest hit. In 2011, San Pedro Sula in Honduras “overtook Ciudad Juarez as the most violent city in the world, with 159 homicides per 100,000 residents,” Fraser noted. In view of the “rising wave of violence,” the resources and capabilities of local police forces are outmatched, and consequently, “these countries view their militaries as the only entities capable of responding to these threats,” he judged. The head of the Southern Command said that due to the magnitude of the problem, “in the immediate future, we will focus our efforts on strengthening the security capacities of our partners in Central America.” Fraser recalled that since January, the United States has been coordinating what is known as Operation Martillo [Hammer], an exercise to fight drug trafficking along the Central American coasts that has been joined by the countries of the region and several European ones. The results of that operation “can be amplified by aligning our air and maritime focus with complementary land (…) activities conducted” by the Central American countries, Fraser added.
Stacey Cunningham, president of the New York Stock Exchange, speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Jan. 23, 2020.Adam Galasia | CNBC – Advertisement – Regulatory concerns around Chinese listings returned to the public eye last week after the last-minute suspension of Ant Group’s world-record $34.5 billion IPO in Hong Kong and Shanghai.The Shanghai Stock Exchange said Ant Group had reported “significant issues such as the changes in financial technology regulatory environment,” according to a CNBC translation of the statement from Mandarin.Without commenting on this individual case, Cunningham said there was “a lot of dialogue around how Chinese companies list here in the U.S., as well as what Shanghai and Hong Kong are doing.”Cunningham emphasized the importance of retaining the depth and liquidity offered by the U.S. market by balancing investor protections, such as audit oversight, with access, and “not encouraging other companies to go to other global markets.” – Advertisement – “What is really important is that we make sure we are appropriately setting a framework in place that keeps investors protected,” Cunningham said.“We continue to see investor demand for Chinese companies in the U.S. and we haven’t seen that changing yet, despite the fact that there is a lot of talk about trade and about oversight, so we are working constructively and we are optimistic that we will be able to find a way to actually enhance the level of protections that exist on companies here in the U.S.”Half of cross-border initial public offerings in the U.S. in the first nine months of the year came from China, according to Ernst & Young, despite the Senate in May passing a bill that could delist a number of Chinese companies from American exchanges.Ant Group and the regulation question- Advertisement – The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is still seeing demand from Chinese companies looking to list in the U.S. despite highly publicized regulatory concerns, its president has told CNBC.Relations between Washington and Beijing have become increasingly fractious in recent years, with President Donald Trump’s administration pushing to reduce domestic financial ties with the world’s second-largest economy.Speaking to CNBC’s Karen Tso on Tuesday night, NYSE President Stacey Cunningham said the exchange was continuing to see demand from Chinese companies for U.S. stock market listings.- Advertisement –