Steely Dan Will Perform With An Orchestra For The First Time Ever

first_imgSteely Dan are notoriously fussy when it comes to their pristine funk sound, so their performance at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend is all the more special. For their appearance at the historic venue, Steely Dan will team up with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra for their first-ever performance with an orchestra.In an interview with the LA Times, Donald Fagen and Walter Becker talk about the decision to team up with the orchestra for new interpretations of the old favorites. “It’s gonna surprise us as much as anyone else, really,” said Fagen. “We talked to the arranger, Vince Mendoza, and we tried to give him some clues as to what might work and what might not work.”The Steely duo were then asked about how this collaboration came to be, since they are notorious for their particularity. That notoriety was mentioned to the pair, and Becker replied, “That’s why we haven’t done this type of thing before. I don’t know if we’ve ever been offered one, frankly. But for some reason we decided we were gonna do this one. I’m not sure why or why not. I guess at this point we feel like —”Fagen chimed in, saying, “We just like to live on the edge.” Becker continued, saying “And we feel like our band is our band. It’s very solid; they can’t take that away. So basically you’re talking about some fiddle players et cetera.”Still, an orchestral Steely Dan concert would be quite intriguing, and it’s all going down this Saturday, June 18th at the Hollywood Bowl. The remainder of the LA Times interview talks about Coachella (“It was funny to see all these kids wearing these designer versions of the Pocahontas costumes that the girls were wearing in 1966,” says Fagen), Desert Trip (“There was some talk of us doing it next year.”) and more!last_img read more

Japan ‘Twitter killer’ victims consented to death, lawyers argue

first_imgA Japanese man dubbed the “Twitter killer” for luring his victims on social media admitted in court Wednesday to murdering nine people, local media said.But lawyers for Takahiro Shiraishi, 29, argued the charges should be reduced because the victims — who had expressed suicidal thoughts — gave their consent to be killed.Shiraishi, who is also accused of dismembering his victims and storing body parts in coolboxes, did not contest nine counts of murder, saying they “are all correct”, public broadcaster NHK reported. Topics : In an interview with the Mainichi Shimbun daily, Shiraishi said he disagreed with his lawyers and would tell prosecutors that he had “killed without consent”.”There were bruises on the back of the victims’ heads. It means there was no consent and I did it so that they wouldn’t resist,” he said in comments published on Wednesday.Shiraishi was detained three years ago by police investigating the disappearance of a 23-year-old woman who had reportedly tweeted about wanting to kill herself.After she went missing, her brother apparently gained access to her Twitter account, and noticed a suspicious handle.Police uncovered a grisly house of horrors behind Shiraishi’s front door on the morning of Halloween in 2017.Nine dismembered bodies, with as many as 240 bone parts stashed in coolers and toolboxes, had been sprinkled with cat litter in a bid to hide the evidence.Shiraishi told the Mainichi Shimbun he “didn’t plan on getting caught” and boasted of not being identified until his final killing.More than 600 people lined up for 13 public gallery seats to observe Wednesday’s first hearing, NHK said.Japan has the highest suicide rate among the Group of Seven industrialized nations, with more than 20,000 people taking their lives annually.The suicide rate has been falling since it peaked in 2003, however.center_img He is also facing rape charges, according to media reports.Shiraishi is accused of using Twitter to contact victims aged between 15 and 26 who posted online about taking their own lives, telling them he could help them in their plans — or even die alongside them.If convicted of murder, Shiraishi faces the death penalty, which is carried out by hanging in Japan.But his lawyers want the charges against him reduced to “murder with consent”, which carries a prison sentence of between six months and seven years.last_img read more