HMS Chiddingfold Engages in NATO Ex Breeze

first_img View post tag: News by topic HMS Chiddingfold is one of four NATO ships that took part in Exercise Breeze 2014 off the Bulgarian coast. The ships are all part of the Standing NATO Mine Counter Measures Group Two (SNMCMG2), one of four fleets that operate on a rotating basis.The formation was headed by an Italian Navy frigate, ITS Aviere, accompanied by the ITS Rimini as well as the Turkish vessel, TCG Akcay and the Royal Navy’s HMS Chiddingfold.The aim of Ex Breeze was to improve operational and tactical partnerships between participating units and commands. It was also an opportunity for NATO to exercise many of its component navies.During the exercise SNMCMG2 engaged with ships and aircraft of the Bulgarian Navy as well as air and naval units from Greece, Italy, Romania, Turkey and the United States.Chiddingfold, a Hunt Class minehunter, rejoined the Royal Navy’s frontline fleet earlier this year after a maintenance period that saw her capabilities upgraded.Her commanding officer, Lt Cdr Richard Rees, said: “Exercises of this nature allow sailors from an assortment of navies to come together and engage in realistic and challenging maritime training. They foster a common understanding and allow for greater participation and learning while strengthening regional partnerships.”[mappress]Press Release, July 17, 2014; Image: UK Navy Back to overview,Home naval-today HMS Chiddingfold Engages in NATO Ex Breeze Authorities View post tag: Navy View post tag: europe View post tag: Defence View post tag: Engages Share this articlecenter_img HMS Chiddingfold Engages in NATO Ex Breeze Royal UK Navy minehunter HMS Chiddingfold has been taking part in an annual NATO workout in the Black Sea. View post tag: Ex Breeze View post tag: Naval July 17, 2014 View post tag: NATO View post tag: HMS Chiddingfoldlast_img read more

ND juniors receive Goldwater Award

first_imgThree Notre Dame students, juniors Leah Harmon, Alex Kokot and Theodore MacMillan, have been named Goldwater Scholars for the 2020-2021 year, the University announced in a press release Thursday. The award is a scholarship named after former U.S. senator Barry Goldwater. It awards outstanding sophomores and juniors in the fields of mathematics, natural sciences and/or engineering a complete scholarship, including tuition, fees, books and room and board up to $7,500 per year, for one or two years. Harmon, Kokot and MacMillan worked with the Flatley Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement (CUSE) to apply for the scholarships. Harmon, a neuroscience and behavior major with a supplemental major in ACMS from Ipswich, Mass., is a Trustey Family Scholar and a Glynn Family Honors Scholar. Kokot, a honors mathematics major with a concentration in computing and a philosophy major with a concentration is philosophy, science and mathematics from Granger, Ind., is a Flatley Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement Sorin Scholar. MacMillan is a mechanical engineering major with a minor in philosophy, science and mathematics. He is from Scotch Plains, N.J.The undergraduate research advisor with CUSE, Jenny Smith, said in the release, “The success of these three juniors is a testament to their dedication to undergraduate research and to the faculty who have mentored them along the way. It also attests to the high level of talent in the STEM fields that Notre Dame attracts at the undergraduate level.” Tags: CUSE, Goldwater award, STEMlast_img read more

Toffees in Hillsborough tribute

first_imgEverton are to unveil a plaque commemorating the 96 people who died in the Hillsborough disaster ahead of Saturday’s derby meeting with Liverpool at Goodison Park. The unveiling will be held at the Park End Stand and conducted by Everton chairman Bill Kenwright and Margaret Aspinall, chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group. Aspinall, whose son James was killed in the Sheffield tragedy on April 15, 1989, said: “This is a really lovely gesture from Everton, paying tribute to the 96 who lost their lives at Hillsborough. “I would like to thank Bill and everyone involved, not least the Everton fans who have provided great support to the families over the years.” Everton fan Stephen Kelly’s brother Michael was among those killed 26 years ago and, together with other Blues supporters, suggested the installation of the permanent tribute. He added on the club’s official website: “As an Evertonian who lost my brother at Hillsborough, I have always been grateful of the support from the blue side of the city. “I hope that when Evertonians look at this they will feel proud of the way we’ve supported our neighbours.” Everton manager Roberto Martinez said: “It is something we take a lot of pride in. “There has always been a real strong bond between the two teams over that tragedy and it is going to be a really important moment. “It is a tribute to the 96 who lost their lives and all the families who suffered the pain of that tragedy over the years. It will be great to see the two football clubs of the city together and showing their support. “The plaque is a tribute that is going to stand forever and we’ll always have it in the back of our minds – we’ll always be there supporting the Hillsborough families.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Football News Lionel Messi suspended from Argentina for 3 months for comments on CONMEBOL

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Asuncion: Soccer body CONMEBOL suspended Lionel Messi from international matches for three months because of accusations of corruption he made at the latest Copa America. The South American body also said Friday that it fined the superstar in $50,000 for his comments after Argentina’s 2-1 win against Chile in the third-place playoff of the tournament in July. Messi and Argentina can still appeal the decision, which stops the striker from playing in four friendlies this year.The 32-year-old will not play for Argentina matches in September against Chile and Mexico, plus another two in October versus Germany and another adversary to be picked. Neither Messi nor Argentina’s soccer association have made comments about CONMEBOL’s decision.Messi is already suspended from the first match of the South American World Cup qualifiers next March because of the apparently undeserved red card he received against Chile. The Argentine was sent off for only the second time in his career after a shoving match with Chile midfielder Gary Medel, who also was ejected.Messi avoided the medal ceremony in protest and later said Argentina “shouldn’t take part in this corruption.”The Argentinian also said the tournament was set for hosts Brazil to win. Messi had already complained against Copa America refereeing after Argentina’s 2-0 loss to Brazil in the semifinals.When asked if he feared being suspended for his comments, he said “the truth needed to be told.” Messi later sent an apology to CONMEBOL for his remarks. last_img read more