After months of rehabilitation works, the newly refurbished Arthur Chung Conference Centre (ACCC) was on Thursday handed back over to the Guyana Government in a grand ceremony that paid homage to the former Guyanese Head of State.President David Granger and Ambassador Jianchun, along with Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes and Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo following the unveiling of the newly rehabilitated Arthur Chung Conference Centre on ThursdayFormer President Arthur Chung, who served as Guyana’s Head of State from 1970 to 1980, would have celebrated his 100th birth anniversary in January, thus making the commemoration much more symbolic.Upon the completion of construction back in 2006, the Chinese Government handed over the Conference Centre to Guyana. The facility was then renamed after Guyana’s first President in 2015 when the coalition Government took office.Having funded the construction of the Conference Centre, the Chinese Government in late 2016 retook possession of the facility and under the 2011-2012 Economic and Technical Cooperation Agreement between Guyana and China, rehabilitation works were carried out.The US$7 million project was undertaken by China Railway Group, the same Chinese company that constructed the facility over 10 years ago. It was completed within the 18-month timeline.In reflection on the work of the former President during the ceremony, his niece, Leila Walker, recalled his early life and his journey in the Public Sector serving Guyana.President Granger testing the new equipment in the main conference room at the refurbished Arthur Chung Conference CentreMeanwhile, President David Granger said the occasion is even more symbolic as it pays tribute to an eminent citizen and true patriot, who guided the country amidst uncertainly and was the face of a newborn Guyana on the international front.“His appointment was historic… He became President at an important stage in Guyanese history. It was a period of international turmoil and national transformation… And he helped with his own character and personality to shape the identity of our new republic amidst all that was taking place in our country and around the world,” President Granger noted.According to the Head of State, former President Chung had cemented the foundation of relations between China and Guyana, which has strengthened over the years and is evident in the many contributions the Asian nation has made towards local development.“The Arthur Chung Conference Centre now, and for generations to come, will ensure that the contributions of Arthur Chung… and of the People’s Republic of China will be remembered and sustained,” the President posited.These sentiments were shared by Chinese Ambassador, Cui Jianchun, who said his Administration will continue to support and deepen its relation with Guyana. In fact, he noted that while much has been done over the years, there are much more avenues for Chinese to lend assistance to Guyana, something which he is committed to work on.Among the works done at the facility are upgrades to the exterior and interior of the building, and the main and smaller conference rooms were also refurbished, with the former now being equipped with a new digital conference system and interpretation booth that can process up to three languages simultaneously. There is also a new WiFi system that will make the ACCC an Internet hotspot as well as an IT room upgraded with 20 new computers.
er/manager Russ Beerling has been elected first Vice President, of the Fort St. John and District Chamber of Commerce. Russ takes over from Steve Troyer, who stepped down last month, following reports of dissatisfaction within the Chamber, over its role in the processing of the cities new budget…. [asset|aid=44|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=Russ Beerling – Chamber Vice_1_Pub.mp3] Take Clip: Russ “people are members” .25 Russ, a former President of the Dawson Creek Chamber, was elected to his new position, by acclamation. Meantime, the local Chamber has also confirmed Cindy Zsomber has rescinded her recent resignation and remains second vice-president.- Advertisement –
VANCOUVER – British Columbia’s addictions minister has tasked health authorities to move quickly to scale up use of an injectable drug that could save the lives of chronic substance users who haven’t responded to treatment with oral medication.Judy Darcy said hydromorphone is urgently needed for people struggling with addictions and B.C. would be the first place in North America to use it as part of clinical practice.“If we’re going to save lives and prevent people from being poisoned from toxic drugs on the street we need to provide alternatives and this is an alternative that has been proven by evidence to work,” she said Wednesday.Darcy was responding after the B.C. Centre on Substance Use released a report providing doctors with guidelines on hydromorphone, which is used at the Crosstown clinic in Vancouver, where some patients addicted to heroin receive injections of pharmaceutical heroin under supervision.Suboxone and methadone are the first- and second-line medications to treat substance use disorder but Darcy said hydromorphone would be another option for people who’ve failed with those treatments.“We’re asking health authorities to give us plans about how to implement this,” she said. “We’ll be waiting to hear back from them on an urgent basis about what that looks like.”The results of a groundbreaking trial in 2016 involving Crosstown patients showed hydromorphone, or pharmaceutical heroin, is equally effective at treating heroin addicts who don’t respond to methadone or suboxone.Cheyenne Johnson, a nurse and clinical director at the B.C. Centre on Substance Use, said the Crosstown study of 202 participants suggests hydromorphone must be made available to more people through clinics and pharmacies, the same as for methadone.“This being a new and emerging model in B.C., what we want to do is work with the health system and evaluate and monitor the expansion of this program to see what works and where the gaps are and address those,” she said.The B.C. Centre on Substance Use guidelines propose a continuum of care including counselling, detox or withdrawal management services, then oral medication through to injectable treatment.The guidelines also include information on when patients are eligible for treatment, how to provide adequate dosing and monitoring and when to do urine drug tests.While pharmaceutical heroin is also effective for some chronic substance users, prescribing it comes with regulatory hurdles because doctors must apply to Health Canada for individual patients who use the drug that’s imported from Sweden.“We’ve been slow to expand hydromorphone,” Johnson said. “The evidence from our perspective is very clear that hydromorphone is an evidence-based treatment option and we have to expand it across the province.”The high rate of addiction in the province has placed a heavy burden on communities dealing with crime, public disorder and health costs, Johnson said.More than 1,800 people died of overdoses in B.C. between January 2016 and July 2017, many of them involving the painkiller fentanyl.Over 40 people took part in the report, including drug users, family members, community advocates, physicians and researchers from Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands, where prescription heroin has been used for addiction treatment.They included Jordan Westfall, president of the Canadian Association of People Who Use Drugs, who said treatment needs to be accessible for people who need help during an opioid epidemic.“The awareness of this situation in the public’s mind has to continue,” he said, adding any funding concerns “need to go out the window” for an issue that involves a health crisis.“Ultimately, it’s up to people who use drugs to speak up about this, and not let pressure off the government,” said Westfall, who is a former drug user and has a master’s degree in public policy.— Follow @CamilleBains1 on Twitter.
Xbox One weekly game deals: Best under $10 Gaming deals: Titanfall 2 for $5, Red Dead Redemption for $10, GTA V for $20 and more Microsoft Microsoft has a number of Xbox One games on sale through March 18. Here’s a quick look at our top picks for sale titles that cost less than $10. To get these prices you’re not required to have a Xbox Live Gold membership. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of products featured on this page. $5 Metro Last Light Redux ($5)Metro 2033 Redux ($5)Star Wars Battlefront I Ultimate Edition ($5)Burnout Paradise ($5) $10 or less Battlefield 1 Revolution ($10)Mass Effect Andromeda ($9)NBA Live 19 All-Star Edition ($6)Star Wars Battlefront II ($6.25)Unravel 2 ($6)See the complete list of Xbox games on sale this week. This story was originally published on March 12. 0 Share your voice Tags Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. Video Games More game deals Post a comment
Indian medical staff attend to a child admitted in the Encephalitis ward at The Baba Raghav Das Hospital in Gorakhpur, in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, on August 12, 2017.SANJAY KANOJIA/AFP/Getty Images [Representational Image]Nearly 14 children are reported to have died in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar due to suspected Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanese Encephalitis (JE).According to the reports, five children have died in the past 24 hours due to the infection and over a dozen, kids are being treated at Shri Krishna Memorial College Hospital (SKMCH) and Kejriwal Hospital after showing various symptoms of Encephalitis, including high fever and unconsciousness.At least 21 children were admitted at Shri Krishna Memorial College Hospital and 14 were admitted at Kejriwal Hospital on Friday. The Superintendent of SKMCH Sunil Shahi said that the hospital has received a total of 38 patients so far and most of them have glucose deficiency in their blood.District Civil Surgeon SP Singh said that two of the children who died last week has been confirmed of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome. The death of the rest is unknown as of now but the authorities are investigating the incident.Singh said that most of the patients suspected of the infection were brought to the hospital with high fever and Hypoglycemia (a condition caused by a very low level of blood sugar (glucose), the body’s main energy source).”All primary health centres in the district have been put on high alert. But the people need to be cautious about their children as well. Give them as much liquid as you can and keep them hydrated,” he added, reports PTI.Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) is a serious health problem in India. It can be identified by the starting of high fever and clinical neurological manifestation that includes mental confusion, disorientation, delirium or coma. The infection commonly affects children and young adults and can lead to considerable morbidity and mortality.According to the National Health Portal of India, Japanese Encephalitis Virus (JEV) is the major cause of AES in India (ranging from 5%-35%). Herpes simplex virus, Influenza A virus, West Nile virus, Chandipura virus, mumps, measles, dengue, Parvovirus B4, enteroviruses, Epstein-Barr virus and scrub typhus, S.pneumoniae are the other causes of AES in sporadic and outbreak form in India. Nipah virus, Zika virus are also found as causative agents for AES. The etiology in a large number of AES cases still remains unidentified.
Private-sector lender RBL Bank on Monday announced acquisition of a 9.99% stake in Utkarsh Micro Finance Ltd (UMFL). The acquisition is seen as a strategic move to reach out to the unbanked and underbanked segments of the society.The bank is also entering into an MoU to extend its product portfolio to Utkarsh customers. In a statement, the bank said it has got all the necessary regulatory approvals. UMFL has received in-principle approval from the RBI for setting up a small finance bank and is expected to commence operations soon.”This is a strategic partnership rather than a mere acquisition of a minority stake in Utkarsh, one of India’s finest and well-governed micro finance institutions. Personally, I am very happy and excited to be a part of this partnership. It will help us extend our distribution footprint and strengthen our financial inclusion initiatives across the rural hinterland,” Vishwavir Ahuja, RBL Bank Managing Director and CEO, said in the statement.In other news, RBL Bank said it has raised Rs 330 crore (about $50 million) from CDC Group Plc, a UK-based development finance institution, through Basel III compliant Tier II capital. The capital infusion will help the bank expand to new regions in India.The fund-raising will also strengthen its capital base to meet future requirements. This is the third round of funding the private-sector lender received in two-and-a-half years. Previously, in October 2015, the bank raised Rs 44.5 crore, and in March 2014, it secured investment of Rs 174 crore.RBL Bank stock closed at Rs 297.10 on Monday, up 1.97 from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
The NIA, on Saturday, raided multiple locations in Tamil Nadu on a tip-off that some people were conspiring to wage a war against India.IANSAfter busting terror gang Ansarulla in Tamil Nadu, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has arrested two people for their alleged links to the group that seeks to establish Islamic rule in India.Hassan Ali, 28, and Harish Mohamed 32, were arrested after the NIA raided their residences in Tamil Nadu’s Nagapattinam on Saturday, following inputs about their links with the terrorist group.The NIA had on July 9 filed a case against Ansarulla under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act after it learnt that members of the group had collected funds and made preparations to carry out terrorist attacks in India.On Saturday, it raided multiple locations in Tamil Nadu on a tip-off that some people were conspiring to wage a war against India.Other than the residences of Ali and Mohamed, the NIA also searched the homes and offices of others, including one Syed Bukhari in Chennai.Nine mobiles, 15 SIM cards, seven memory cards, three laptops, five hard discs, six pen drives, two tablets, three CDs/ DVDs as well as a large number of documents, including magazines, banners, notices, posters and books were seized in these searches.”Based on incriminating facts revealed during the searches in Nagapattinam as well as Chennai in Tamil Nadu, and subsequent investigation accused Hassan Ali and Harish Mohamed were arrested on Saturday,” said an NIA official.”They will be produced before a special NIA court in Chennai this afternoon. Bukhari is still being examined,” he added.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. File PhotoAwami League president, prime minister Sheikh Hasina will lead a 22-member delegation of the 14-party alliance to the dialogue with the leaders of the Jatiya Oikya Front on Thursday.The talks will be held at the prime minister’s official Ganabhaban residence at 7pm on Thursday.The delegation would include AL general secretary Obaidul Quader, advisory council members Amir Hossain Amu and Tofail Ahmed, presidium members Matia Chowdhury, Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, Mohammad Nasim, Md Abdur Razaque, Kazi Zafarullah and Ramesh Chandra Sen, joint general secretaries Mahbubul Alam Hanif, Dipu Moni, Abdur Rahman and Jahangir Kabir Nanok, office secretary Abdus Sobhan Golap, publicity and publication secretary Hasan Mahmud, law secretary SM Rezaul Karim, law minister Anisul Huq, Samyabadi Dal general secretary Dilip Barua, Bangladesh Workers Party president Rashed Khan Menon, president of a faction of Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal Hasanul Haq Inu and president of another faction of the Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal Moin Uddin Khan Badal, according to a party press release.A 16-member team, led by the Jatiya Oikya Front leader Kamal Hossain will join the talks. Senior BNP leaders including party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir are in the delegation.On 28 October, Kamal Hossain wrote to the prime minister for dialogue in order to hold the national election in a free and fair manner.The prime minister on 29 agreed to hold the dialogue and invited Kamal Hossain to join it at Ganabhaban.