Therwin Hopkinson, the minibus driver charged with causing the death of William Trim on March 5, was on Monday jailed for four years.He was convicted of driving minibus BBB 1302 in a manner dangerous to the public thus causing the death of Trim on March 5, 2016 at Aubrey Barker Public Road, Greater Georgetown.The Court heard that on the day in question, the defendant had passengers in his bus and was driving in a reckless manner, overtaking several motor vehicles, when he collided with the car driven by the now dead man.The impact of the collision caused the motor car to move some distance away from the point of impact and Trim to be thrown from the vehicle. He was picked up in an unconscious state and rushed to a city hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.In handing down the sentence, Magistrate McLennan stated that the prosecution’s witnesses were found to be credible. She added that the Court was also satisfied with the evidence that was presented by the prosecution.McLennan noted that the injuries sustained by the deceased as a result of the accident were the cause of his death. Thus, she said, the prosecution had proven its case beyond reasonable doubt.The Chief Magistrate revealed that the Court did not find credible the defendant’s defence that theMcLennan found the defendant guilty as charged of the offence.Upon hearing the court’s decision, Hopkinson begged for leniency on the grounds that he has two young children – 18 months old and 4 years old respectively.However, McLennan did not waver in her decision, stating that a life was lost.
Liverpool’s pre-season festivities are in full swing across the Atlantic, though they didn’t enjoy the best start of their tour of the United States as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat to Roma at Fenway Park.Brendan Rodgers will be hoping the team left their misfortune behind them in Boston, as they prepare to take on Olympiakos in Chicago on Saturday night.Serbian winger Lazar Markovic has yet to make an appearance since completing his £20million move from Benfica and could get a starting spot on the right wing, while 18-year-old Jordan Ibe could be deployed on the opposite flank, having impressed in all three of the team’s pre-season fixtures so far.The Reds boss has so far let the club’s World Cup goers take a breather, but could this game also see their biggest stars make a return?Captain Steven Gerrard could enter to the field for the first time since England’s disappointment in Brazil, with fans hoping for a repeat of his famous strike [‘WHAT A HIT, SON!’] against the Greeks on the road to their 2005 Champions League triumph, and he may be joined by fan-favourite Pepe Reina, who has rejoined the Reds having spent last season on loan at Napoli.Rodgers could also continue Martin Kelly’s run in the side as the defender looks to nail down a regular role after returning from a long injury absence, while Mamadou Sakho – who may have surprised Reds fans with some solid displays at the World Cup, but still has much to prove in a Liverpool shirt – may also get some minutes.Is this how Liverpool will look against Olympiakos? New Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic 1
SOCCER chiefs are investigating a stomach-churning racist attack on an African-born boy during a teenage soccer match in Donegal.The Schoolboy Football Association of Ireland said today it is investigating an allegation of racial abuse towards a 14-year-old African-born player during a cup game at the weekend.Monkey chants were shouted from a small section of the crowd at an U15s game on Saturday. The referee ordered teenage players off the pitch due to the chants as the teenager was left in tears.Schools FAI general secretary Martin O’Hanlon confirmed that the association is investigating the sickening incident.“We take something like this very seriously, but short of making an assessment, I can’t say anything. We have an allegation of racist taunting,” he said.The organisation is awaiting the referee’s report on the incident. “We have spoken to football people, not the boy, people have rang us about it,” said Mr O’Hanlon. The teenager’s coach has said there were very clear monkey chants coming from one section of the crowd “every time he touched the ball”. The referee warned the crowd that he would abandon play, but he then re-started the game. OUTRAGE AT SICKENING RACIST ‘MONKEY’ CHANTS AIMED AT TEENAGE FOOTBALLER was last modified: March 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FAIinvestigationracist abuseSFAI