McGregor shuns Pacquiao, wants ‘true fight’ next

first_imgView comments Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. All systems go for Philippine Cup despite leadership squabble Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed LATEST STORIES 3 alleged bet collectors of ‘bookies’ nabbed in Quezon Pacquiao, manager fuel speculations of potential McGregor fight Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours MMA star Conor McGregor (left) downplayed an announcement by Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao (right) that they had opened talks for a fight. McGregor said he wanted to do a ‘true fight’ next, referring to mixed martial arts. AFP FILE PHOTOSNEW YORK, United States — Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor, touted as a potential opponent for Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao, has indicated he wants his next bout to be a return to the octagon rather than the ring.Caught on video by the celebrity news site while out and about in New York, McGregor was asked about Pacquiao’s announcement last week that he had opened talks to fight McGregor.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img “I think a true fight is what I want to do next,” McGregor says in the video posted online on Saturday. “MMA next.”Ireland’s McGregor hasn’t fought in mixed martial arts or boxing since losing a boxing bout to unbeaten Floyd Mayweather by a 10th-round technical knockout in their much-hyped bout in Las Vegas in August.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkShowtime sports released final figures on Friday showing the cross-combat superfight drew the second-most North American pay-per-view buys in history with 4.3 million.Only one other fight — Mayweather’s 2015 clash with Pacquiao — has ever drawn more, racking up 4.6 million pay-per-view buys. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Showtime said in a statement that global revenues, including ticket sales, sponsorship and international distribution, for Mayweather-McGregor had exceeded $600 million. /cbbSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Anti-Trump protests have shrunk. What’s it mean for 2020? Suspected drug pusher falls in Quezon sting MOST READ How Trump’s impeachment differs from a criminal trial Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player awardlast_img read more

Hotelier, ‘hitman’ to face Judge for plotting to kill businessman

first_imgThe proprietor of Rocky’s Hotel and his alleged hired ‘hitman’ who were jointly charged for conspiring to murder a businessman in Lethem, Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) were on Monday committed to stand trial at the Demerara High Court after a prima facie case was made out against them.Mark Grimmond and Chatterpaul SinghFifty-seven-year-old Mark Grimmond, of Grove Housing Scheme, East Bank Demerara (EBD), and Chatterpaul Singh, a 36-year-old miner of First Street, Cummings Lodge, East Coast Demerara (ECD), were charged with the offence on June 13, 2019.It is alleged that between April 1, 2018 and June 7, 2019, in Georgetown, they conspired with each other and persons unknown to kill Dwayne Grant.The men were on trial before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.When the matter was called on Monday, the Chief Magistrate ruled that there was sufficient evidence against the duo for them to stand trial before a Judge and jury at the next sitting of the Demerara Assizes.The case was prosecuted by Inspector Neville Jeffers.It was reported that the Virtual Complainant, a businessman in Lethem, reported to the Police that he received information that the defendants were plotting to kill him.As such, an investigation was conducted by the Police during which Singh was arrested after a firearm was found in his possession.When questioned, Singh reportedly had a detailed conversation with the ranks and admitted that he and Grimmond were planning to kill Grant.Officers were also able to obtain recordings of telephone conversations between the defendants. Advice was sought from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), who recommended that charges be instituted.The defendants are currently out on $500,000 bail each.last_img read more