Bristol agents: Cracking the inner sanctum

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

SpeakSC Forum discusses annual fountain run options

first_imgUndergraduate Student Government hosted a SpeakSC Forum on Wednesday night that centered on the annual fountain run tradition that many undergraduate seniors partake in.USG President Andrew Menard, moderated the forum. Administrators in attendance included Dr. Ainsley Carry, vice provost for Student Affairs; Dr. Monique Allard, assistant provost for Student Affairs; and Lieutenant Hecklemann of the Dept. of Public Safety.For the last decade, seniors have attempted to run into all of the fountains located on the University Park campus. The annual fountain run, which occurs on the last Thursday before graduation, has sparked great concern among school officials due to the damage caused by last year’s event.Last year, three students were transported to a local hospital due to injuries or intoxication. The 2014 fountain run cost the university $34,842 in damages. Though DPS wrapped parts of the fountains in specialized fencing to prevent damage and student injury, nearly all of the fences were torn down in under eight minutes.Youth Triumphant, a fountain located at the center of Alumni Park and features a solid bronze statue atop four “modest maidens,” incurred the most financial and physical damage.Menard commented on the importance of smoothly facilitating this year’s fountain run.“Administrators reached out to USG and said, ‘Look, these are the damages we’ve incurred, this is the amount of lacerations there have been, this is the amount of students that were transported to the hospital, and we need to have a conversation about liability and safety,’” Menard said. “USG wanted students to have a place in this discussion so we decided to put together an event where we can get administrators and students in the same room talking about solutions.”Students and administrators reached a consensus agreeing that the fountain run must change in order to ensure student safety. Others also expressed their desire to effectively communicate about the event in order to preserve the fountain tradition.Carry asked students to work with administrators to help achieve a smoother, safer event.“We need your help for coming up with a smarter way to make this a safe event,” Carry said. “The fountain run was born out of the students. You have a chance to stake a claim in what is acceptable at your institution.”Students in attendance also contributed their ideas to the administration. One senior suggested selling tickets to contribute to the possible damages incurred during the event and to prevent outsiders from participating. Another student suggested checking student identification for this purpose. Many students supported the idea of an alternative event, however, such as food trucks or a concert, running concurrently with the fountain run to direct traffic away from the fountains.Lieutenant Hecklemenn asserted that the fountains be excluded from any kind of alternative event. Other administrators agreed with this sentiment.“An alternative event is an excellent idea, but it would have to exclude the fountains,” Hecklemenn said. “The fountains are simply not designed for this kind of event. That’s the challenge.”Suggestions to end the fountain run for the 2015 school year was met by hesitation from students. Many felt the cancellation of the highly anticipated event would not stop seniors from continuing to partake in the fountain run.Rini Sampath, vice president of USG, said cancelling the fountain run might not be effective.“Cancellation of the fountain run might create an issue where students are organizing it for a day where DPS isn’t aware,” Sampath said. “So if we were going to organize something else I think it would need to coexist with the fountain run.”last_img read more

New book chronicles the IRA in Donegal during partition

first_imgA NEW book with rare interviews with those involved in the IRA in Donegal at the time of partition will be launched later this month.The interviews were carried out by leading Dublin IRA man of the time, Ernie O’Malley, and are based on first hand experience of the War of Independence and the Civil War captured in his books ‘On Another Man’s Wound’ and ‘The Singing Flame’.This book, The Men Will Talk To Me, was edited from O’Malley’s interview notes. Respected Donegal author Liam Ó Duibhir, who has written extensively on the period for a local perspective, is one of the editors of the new tome. The book will be launched at the Cultúrlann on the Falls Road in Belfast on April 17 by Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, MLA.The interviews cover counties Donegal, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Louth, Tyrone and Derry.O’Malley was suspicious of a compromise being made during the peace negotiations resulting in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of December 1921 and reacted strongly against the Treaty when it was announced.As a split developed in the senior ranks of the IRA in early 1922, he was appointed director of the organisation for the anti-Treaty republicans in March, who then took over the Four Courts in April. When the Four Courts garrison surrendered in June, he managed to escape. He was then appointed acting assistant chief of staff and officer commanding the Northern and Eastern Commands.In early November, he was captured in a dramatic shoot-out and was severely wounded. Ironically, his wounds saved his life as otherwise he would have been court-martialled and executed. While in Mountjoy Gaol in 1923, O’Malley was elected as a TD and in October, despite his continuing poor health, he went on a forty-one-day hunger strike.These interviews are the latest in a series of books of interviews carried out by Ernie O’Malley in the 1940s and 1950s. By the 1940s Ernie saw that the story of the Tan War and the Civil War was being spun to support the Free State stance. He was asked to collect stories and memories from the republican side because as he said himself, “The men will talk to me.”The interviews in this book include descriptions of the pogroms in Belfast from 1920-1922.Also in the book are letters from Charlie Daly from Kerry who was executed in Drumboe in Donegal by the Free State. Among the interviewees are Peadar O’Donnell, Joe Sweeney, Dr Patrick McCartan, Michael Donnelly, John McCoy, Michael Murney, Patrick McLogan and Frank Aiken.The book also gives an insight into Collins’ view of the Treaty and his view on the formation of the sectarian northern state.New book chronicles the IRA in Donegal during partition was last modified: April 6th, 2018 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bookCivil wardonegalDrumboThe Men Will Talk To Melast_img read more

Andy Murray cruises into French Open quarter-finals

first_imgAndy Murray reached the quarterfinals for the 20th time in his past 21 Grand Slam tournaments, handling the big serve of John Isner and beating the 15th-seeded American 7-6 (9), 6-4, 6-3 at the French Open.Murray, a two-time major champion who is seeded second in Paris, made it to the quarterfinals at Roland Garros for the sixth time. He has lost in the semifinals the last two years.After needing five sets to get through each of his first two matches, Murray has now won in straight sets twice in a row.In the opening tiebreaker Sunday, Isner held three set points – at 6-5 on his serve, and at 7-6 and 9-8 on Murray’s – but failed to convert any of them.One of the game’s top returners, Murray managed to break the 6-foot-10 (2.08-meter) Isner twice. And Murray saved all five break points he faced two in the first set and three in the last.The loss dropped Isner to 1-6 in fourth-round matches at Grand Slam matches. He was the last U.S. man in the French Open this year; no man from the country has made it to the quarterfinals in Paris since Andre Agassi in 2003.last_img read more