Work to expand the Ian Fleming International Airport in Boscobel, St. Mary, to make it a regional hub, is expected to begin on March 12. Story Highlights “We already have two applications (from) airlines wanting to be based at Boscobel,” the Minister said. “We have to expand the terminal building and we have to widen the runway. Phase two includes lengthening the runway, and we will be going across the highway with a box culvert, so the planes will taxi across the highway,” he added. Work to expand the Ian Fleming International Airport in Boscobel, St. Mary, to make it a regional hub, is expected to begin on March 12.This was noted by National Security Minister, Hon. Robert Montague, at the ground-breaking ceremony for the construction of a new police station by the National Housing Trust (NHT) in Port Maria, on March 7.“We already have two applications (from) airlines wanting to be based at Boscobel,” the Minister said.“We have to expand the terminal building and we have to widen the runway. Phase two includes lengthening the runway, and we will be going across the highway with a box culvert, so the planes will taxi across the highway,” he added.Mr. Montague, who is also Member of Parliament for St. Mary Western, where the airport is located, pointed out that motorists will drive under the highway.He indicated that there are plans by the Government to undertake a “massive road-improvement project in the parish”.The National Energy Solutions Limited (NESol) will also be moving to bring electricity to other communities that are without the utility.Communities such as Elliot, Epsom and sections of Gayle have already received electricity provided by NESol, with other communities, such as Three Hills and parts of Boscobel, slated to receive in short order.Meanwhile, Mr. Montague informed that he has interest in an agricultural project for the parish that involves the importation of a new set of lychee seedlings to replace the old trees that exist.Updating residents on developments in the parish, Mayor of Port Maria, Councillor Richard Creary, said residents and vendors are to benefit from a new two-storey market in the town.“Local Government and Community Development Minister, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, has also committed that in the next financial year we will… be getting a new fire station in the town of Port Maria,” he said.Land that had previously been earmarked for the construction of the police station will now be used to expand the town.The new police station is being constructed at a cost of $60 million and will be a three-storey building.
WINNIPEG – Dane Bourget never thought his life would spiral into addiction.But when his roommate brought methamphetamine into their home, it started a decade-long journey in and out of treatment centres throughout Manitoba.“I tried it one time and then, before you know it, it’s been years,” said the 36-year-old. “I often say I tried meth once for 12 years.”Bourget has been sober since 2014 and now volunteers with a self-help group for people who have struggled with methamphetamine. He has seen how the drug that brought chaos into his own life is taking over the streets of Winnipeg and destroying families.While other regions of Canada are coping with an opioid epidemic, crystal meth has become the drug of choice in Manitoba.The Addictions Foundation of Manitoba says meth use increased by more than 100 per cent in adults and nearly 50 per cent in youth since 2014.The province’s chief medical examiner says meth was involved in 35 overdose deaths in 2017, up from 19 the year before. In contrast, fentanyl was involved in 14 fatal overdoses and carfentanil, a synthetic opiate about 100 times more powerful, was involved in 32.“We are seeing an unprecedented amount of methamphetamine that has come into our city,” said Insp. Max Waddell with Winnipeg’s organized crime unit.The drug is appealing because it’s cheap, available, easy to make and it gets people high for significantly longer — it can last 14 hours while crack cocaine lasts only about 45 minutes.The effects of the drug can be devastating for everyone who encounters it, including police.A Winnipeg police officer was sitting in his patrol car recently when a man suspected to be high on meth threw a propane tank through the rear window of the cruiser. The same day, another man who police suspect was high on meth had to be shot with a Taser after he allegedly assaulted someone with a screwdriver and threw a shovel at a police officer.Another man suspected of coming down off a meth high taped machetes to his hands before calling 911. When officers arrived, he advanced on them yelling that he wanted to be shot. He was taken into custody unharmed.“Methamphetamine makes people very unpredictable and when people are unpredictable that means they are not in control of themselves,” Waddell said. “They become in a state of … psychosis where they are seeing and hearing things that are not real.”Possession charges for meth increased by 890 per cent since 2012, police numbers show.In 2017, more than 12,000 grams of meth was seized by police. In January 2018 alone, more than 5,800 grams was taken off the streets.Police are also seeing a significant increase in other crimes associated with methamphetamine — property crime, drug crime and violent crime all increased in 2017.Police have a strategy that includes enforcement, intervention and education, but Waddell said authorities can’t deal with the situation alone.At Morberg House, a 10-bed transitional housing facility in Winnipeg, nearly every person is struggling with a meth addiction. Founder Marion Willis said her clients are different ages and come from various backgrounds, but they all have an underlying mental-health issue and use meth to cope.Most of the country has acknowledged an opioid crisis, she said. There’s been a federal response and a national fund available so organizations can develop and deliver programs. The same can’t be said for meth.“Its like fighting a war with a water gun,” she said. “It’s very frustrating.”Robert Lidstone was a graduate student dealing with undiagnosed bipolar disorder in 2006 when he first tried methamphetamine.“It had a hold on me,” said the 37-year-old. “Once I became addicted, it was just an incredible battle.”He’s been to treatment a few times and has relapsed, but said it’s vital to support people trying to get clean. For some families affected by meth addiction, the cost of treatment is just too high.“So far the institutional response is not able to catch up,” Lidstone said. “We are falling way behind very quickly because this crisis is moving faster than police and first responders, faster than the health-care system and the addiction and mental-health system.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Feb. 16 (JIS): State Minister in the Science, Technology, Energy and Mining Ministry, Hon. Julian Robinson, says the opening of the latest branch in the Popeyes restaurant franchise represents confidence in the growing economy. “Any new business in this economic environment is important. Popeyes employs about 20 persons and that is 20 new jobs in an economy, which is critical to (its) overall growth and development,” the State Minister said. Mr. Robinson was speaking at the restaurant’s official opening at the Cross Roads Shopping Centre, in Kingston, on February 16. The State Minister, who is also Member of Parliament for St. Andrew South Eastern, the area in which the restaurant is located, hailed the effort of its staff in incorporating locally sourced ingredients in meals. This, he said, is critical as it further enables growth and development of the local economy. Mr. Robinson wished the business continued success and longevity. Meanwhile, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Restaurant Associates Limited, Richard Lake, said three more Popeyes are scheduled to be opened across the island by the end of the year. Restaurant Associates are the owners of both Burger King and Popeyes. Mr. Lake also told those in attendance that the business was opened on time and within budget. Following the opening, the State Minister, the CEO and other stakeholders toured the facility. Related Items:Hon. Julian Robinson, popeye restaURANT, Richard Lake Recommended for you Government Continues To Create Environment For Technology And Innovation
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Explore further Anomalocaris was a meter-long shrimp-like creature with lobed wings that lived around 500 million years ago. It is often illustrated in the act of devouring trilobites or other shelled animals, and has been dubbed the first “super predator” because of its supposed ability to swoop down and attack trilobites on the sea bed.Researchers from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, led by paleontologist James “Whitey” Hagadorn, reconstructed the mouth parts of Anomalocaris by examining 400 fossils and selecting the best specimens and feeding their data into a 3D computer model. They also reconstructed 12 groups of trilobites of various kinds, modeling their shell strength on modern day lobster and crab shells. Hagadorn said the group tried to model the full range of shapes and sizes of prey and predator mouth parts.The computer model enabled them to test how much force the animal could generate with its bite. The results showed Anomalocaris’ armored mouth parts would break before adult trilobite shells did, the feelers were inflexible, and their mouths could not fully close. The fossils also suggested the teeth were actually flexible protrusions and the mouth parts were able to fold, which would not have been possible if their mouth parts were hard.Hagadorn said there was also no positive evidence of trilobite or other crushed shells within fossil feces or gut contents, and no evidence of the broken or chipped mouth parts that would be expected in a shell-crunching predator. The findings of the research suggest it was extremely unlikely Anomalocaris could have eaten most trilobites.Trilobite fossils have been found that appear to have scars or bite marks resembling Anomalocaris’ bite, but Hagadorn suggested the creatures possibly “ingested things and then spit them out,” but did not eat the trilobites.Hagadorn said the most likely diet of Anomalocaris was similar to that of modern arthropods such as crabs, lobsters and shrimps, which mostly eat soft items such as worms in the mud or microorganisms or plankton in the water. It could have eaten very small trilobites and recently molted trilobites whose new shells had not yet hardened, but the vast majority of trilobites would have broken Anomalocaris’ mouth parts.He stressed there is no positive evidence of Anomalocaris’ diet, but said this is not surprising because in the fossil record “mushed-up” worms, phytoplankton or snails are “all going to look like mush.”The results of the research were presented on 1 November at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America in Denver, Colorado. (PhysOrg.com) — A Cambrian sea creature, Anomalocaris Canadensis, had long been thought to be a fearsome predator of trilobites, equipped as it was with barbed feelers and an armor-plated mouth, but new research suggests it was incapable of eating adult trilobites and probably survived by dining on “mush.” © 2010 PhysOrg.com First great predator not much of one at all Citation: Ancient shrimp monster not so fierce after all (2010, November 4) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-11-ancient-shrimp-monster-fierce.html Anomalocaris canadensis, the top predator from the middle Cambrian Burgess Shale of British Columbia, pencil drawing, digital coloring. The “tail fins” in this reconstruction should be placed ventrally (on top of the organism), and not at the rear as illustrated. Image: Nobu Tamura, via Wikipedia.
Kolkata: The Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) has summoned BJP national president Amit Shah to appear before the Court on September 28 in connection with an alleged defamation case filed by Abhishek Banerjee, Trinamool Congress MP and president of the All India Trinamool Youth Congress.On August 11, Amit Shah had made certain defamatory statements against Abhishek at the BJP’s Yuva Swabhiman Samavesh rally on Mayo Road. Shah had said that the funds released by the Centre worth Rs 3.59 lakh crore to Bengal ended up with Abhishek, who is Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew, and syndicates. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”The residents of the villages in Bengal, has the money reached your village? Prime Minister Modi had sent it. Where did Rs 3,59,000 crore go? This has been gifted to the nephew and the syndicate,” Shah had said in the rally. “Narada, Saradha, Rose Valley, syndicate’s corruption, nephew’s corruption… a series of corruption have been carried out under Mamataji,” Shah had said. These statements were widely published and circulated all over the country in various newspapers and on social media. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedOn August 13, Banerjee’s advocate had served a notice to Amit Shah, calling upon the accused to retract such virulent and mala fide defamatory statements and to issue an unconditional apology to the complainant. No response was received by Abhishek Banerjee or his advocate. Later, a complaint case was filed on August 28 before the CMM by the complainant under Section 500 of the Indian Penal Code (Punishment for defamation). Cognizance was taken by the CMM on August 28. On Wednesday, the application was fixed for examination of the complainant and the witnesses, when Abhishek Banerjee as well as the witnesses, Swarup Biswas and Soumya Bakshi appeared and made their statements, on oath, before the CMM.