The Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on Tuesday confirmed that the trial of Muslim scholar, Nezaam Ali, who was accused of sexual molesting nine boys between 2011 and 2012 will be heard on March 7, before Justice Navindra Singh at the Demerara High Court. The defendant appeared before Justice Singh but his lawyer, Stanley Moore, requested a deferred date for the commencement of trial.Accused: Nezaam AliHe is expected to be formally indicted on nine counts for the offence of sexual activity with a child by abusing a position of trust, with an alternative count of rape of a child under 16 years. The State indicated that all of its witnesses in the matter were present in court on Tuesday. The matter is listed for trial but could not be heard by Sexual Offences Court Judge, Jo-Ann Barlow due to her tenure as former Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions as she would have been familiar with the case.The DPP’s announcement follows concerns that the mother of three of the boys who were allegedly molested is being offered some $8 million by an Islamic organisation to have the matter settled. Ali, of Lot 268 Section C 5 South Turkeyen, Greater Georgetown, was charged back in 2012 with raping the nine boys.The charges alleged that between December 2011 and January, 2012, Ali, being a teacher attached to the Turkeyen Masjid, had engaged in sexual activity with the children, abusing a position of trust.However, after being committed to stand trial in 2013, the matter was stalled for some time after birth certificates and medicals for the boys had gone missing from each of the nine files. The parents and relatives of some of the alleged victims had publicly expressed their frustration at the situation in the past. One parent has even claimed that there has been a deliberate attempt to drag the matter out. In 2017, however, there was a turn of events when the DPP’s Chambers in a letter had ordered that the case be reopened. He was later re-committed to stand trial at the Demerara Assizes in 2018.The mother of three of the alleged rape victims had told sections of the media that persons had been taking photographs of her sons and she regarded this act as bullying. Shortly after his previous committal, Ali’s then lawyer, Nigel Hughes, had filed in the High Court an action to have the committal overturned. This was rejected by the court and it was ruled that the committal would remain.
Related posts:Guatemala: Adapting to climate change Made in Guatemala: Building a dream home Central America’s first penguins adapt to new home in Guatemala Guatemalans continue speaking out on atrocities during Ríos Montt era GUATEMALA CITY – A bus carrying scores of passengers plunged down a steep cliff in western Guatemala on Monday, killing at least 43 people and injuring 40 others, firefighters said.Cecilio Chacaj, a fire department spokesman, said the bus fell 70 meters (230 feet) to the ground after careening off the road in the municipality of San Martin Jilotepeque, 64 kilometers (40 miles) west of the capital.Local residents who rushed to the scene of the crash volunteered to help rescuers pull victims stuck in the wreckage, Chacaj said.“Forty people were confirmed dead at the site of the accident and three more at the hospital,” Chacaj told reporters.Some victims were taken to hospitals in Guatemala City while others were treated at local hospitals.The bus had left from the western province of Chimaltenango on its way to San Martin Jilotepeque.This is the second mass tragedy to affect Guatemala in the past three days. Over the weekend, a shooting at a liquor store left 11 dead and 15 injured. The motive for the attack remains unknown. Facebook Comments