Date set for Pistorius appeal

first_imgCAPE TOWN (AP): Oscar Pistorius’ case will be heard by South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal on November 3, when prosecutors will ask a panel of five judges to reject his trial verdict and convict the double-amputee athlete of murder for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The Supreme Court announced the date yesterday. The court said the appeal by prosecutors against Pistorius’ acquittal for murder will be heard by a panel headed by the president of the Supreme Court. Two of the five judges are women. Pistorius was last year found guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter for shooting Steenkamp through a toilet door in his home in 2013. He testified he mistook her for a dangerous intruder. Prosecutors accused Pistorius of killing Steenkamp intentionally after a fight and said Judge Thokozile Masipa made errors at the murder trial last year. They want the Supreme Court to re-examine her verdict. The Supreme Court could overrule Masipa and find the Olympian guilty of murder, order a new trial, or decide Masipa was correct. A murder conviction in South Africa carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in jail. The country no longer has the death penalty. Pistorius was sentenced by Masipa to five years in prison for culpable homicide an unintentional but still unlawful killing equivalent to manslaughter. He is currently in jail in Pretoria waiting for a parole review board to decide if he should be released early to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest. A second hearing to decide if he should be released was postponed last week with no date given for when it will take place.last_img read more

OUTRAGE AT SICKENING RACIST ‘MONKEY’ CHANTS AIMED AT TEENAGE FOOTBALLER

first_imgSOCCER chiefs are investigating a stomach-churning racist attack on an African-born boy during a teenage soccer match in Donegal.The Schoolboy Football Association of Ireland said today it is investigating an allegation of racial abuse towards a 14-year-old African-born player during a cup game at the weekend.Monkey chants were shouted from a small section of the crowd at an U15s game on Saturday. The referee ordered teenage players off the pitch due to the chants as the teenager was left in tears.Schools FAI general secretary Martin O’Hanlon confirmed that the association is investigating the sickening incident.“We take something like this very seriously, but short of making an assessment, I can’t say anything. We have an allegation of racist taunting,” he said.The organisation is awaiting the referee’s report on the incident. “We have spoken to football people, not the boy, people have rang us about it,” said Mr O’Hanlon. The teenager’s coach has said there were very clear monkey chants coming from one section of the crowd “every time he touched the ball”. The referee warned the crowd that he would abandon play, but he then re-started the game. OUTRAGE AT SICKENING RACIST ‘MONKEY’ CHANTS AIMED AT TEENAGE FOOTBALLER was last modified: March 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FAIinvestigationracist abuseSFAIlast_img read more