Date set for Pistorius appeal

first_imgCAPE TOWN (AP): Oscar Pistorius’ case will be heard by South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal on November 3, when prosecutors will ask a panel of five judges to reject his trial verdict and convict the double-amputee athlete of murder for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The Supreme Court announced the date yesterday. The court said the appeal by prosecutors against Pistorius’ acquittal for murder will be heard by a panel headed by the president of the Supreme Court. Two of the five judges are women. Pistorius was last year found guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter for shooting Steenkamp through a toilet door in his home in 2013. He testified he mistook her for a dangerous intruder. Prosecutors accused Pistorius of killing Steenkamp intentionally after a fight and said Judge Thokozile Masipa made errors at the murder trial last year. They want the Supreme Court to re-examine her verdict. The Supreme Court could overrule Masipa and find the Olympian guilty of murder, order a new trial, or decide Masipa was correct. A murder conviction in South Africa carries a minimum sentence of 15 years in jail. The country no longer has the death penalty. Pistorius was sentenced by Masipa to five years in prison for culpable homicide an unintentional but still unlawful killing equivalent to manslaughter. He is currently in jail in Pretoria waiting for a parole review board to decide if he should be released early to serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest. A second hearing to decide if he should be released was postponed last week with no date given for when it will take place.last_img read more

Exclusive interview with Celtic legend Packie Bonner – Colin Murray podcast

first_imgCeltic and Republic of Ireland goalkeeping legend Packie Bonner was today’s special guest with Colin Murray and Friends.last_img

RAPHOE MAN REMANDED IN CUSTODY ON SPATE OF CHARGES

first_imgJohnny Ayton. (North West Newspix)A Raphoe man has been remanded in custody after he appeared on a series of charges including trespassing, stealing a car and dangerous driving.Jonathan Ayton appeared at a siting of Sligo District Court today in connection with the incidents in Killybegs yesterday.Ayton, 39, of The Close, Raphoe, faced a number of charges. They include entering the home of Sean Rodgers at Fintra Road, Killybegs yesterday as a trespasser to commit a theft.He was also charged with stealing a car belonging to Ann Rodgers of the same address.Two other charges of dangerous driving at Inver and Meenbog, Ballybofey were also brought against Ayton.The court was told he made no reply to the charges.Solicitor Walker Hegarty said his client did not wish to make an application for bail and he was remanded in custody to appear before Harristown Court on April 22nd next.RAPHOE MAN REMANDED IN CUSTODY ON SPATE OF CHARGES was last modified: April 14th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalJonathan AytonRaphoelast_img read more