Coach of reigning Red Stripe Premier League champions Arnett Gardens FC, Jerome Waite, says his team is ready for the challenge in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Club Championships in order to move on to the CONCACAF stage.Arnett will depart the island next Sunday for the Dominican Republic where they will participate in Group Four alongside Atletico Pantoja of Dominican Republic, America des Cayes (Haiti) and Notch (Suriname).Waite is already looking forward to the CONCACAF stage, where the club has participated in the past.”Well, first and foremost, we have participated in the CONCACAF round twice, but have not passed the quarter-final stage. Our aim is to win the CFU group stage and qualify for the semi-finals, then be among the top three that will advance to the CONCACAF,” Waite told The Gleaner.”I’m pretty much confident based on our performance in the local Red Stripe Premier League, where the team has done well,” the veteran coach shared.He admitted that he did not know much about the opponents, but he remains optimistic.GIVE THEIR BEST”A lot of the players have not played at this level, but they should give of their best, as doors can be opened for them. We don’t have any info on the teams, but they will know about us, as the Premier League is broadcast in the Caribbean,” he informed.Waite is yet to name his 20-man squad for the tournament, but disclosed that players such as captain Oneil ‘Bigga’ Thompson, Renae Lloyd, Marvin Morgan, Kemal Malcolm, Jason Moore, Vishinul Harris, Dicoy Williams, Ranike Anderson, Damion Hyatt, Peter Harrison, Keneil Hyde will be included.Arnett will play against America des Cayes on March 2, Notch on March 3, and Atletico Pantoja on March 5. All games will be at Estadio OlÌmpico FÈlix S·nchez in Santo Domingo.The 14 teams are divided into four groups, and the winners will advance to the semi-finals.Meanwhile, Montego Bay United, the other Jamaican club that has qualified, will participate in Group Three alongside Central of Trinidad and Tobago and Scholars International of the Cayman Islands.
The Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly Vijender Gupta on Monday alleged that the AAP government is violating all rules and traditions in conducting the sessions of the Assembly and is running away from discussions.“This is the smallest session of the House. The government has confined the question hours to the last two days only. How can the budget be discussed in two days? The members will not get time to put their views,” said Vijender Gupta on Monday. Also Read – Company director arrested for swindling Rs 345 croreHe alleged that the budget is scheduled to be presented on Friday, which was reserved for private member’s bills. “All the members should have been informed 12 days in advance about the session but it was not done,” added Gupta.As per the schedule of the Speaker the budget is likely to be presented in the House on Thursday, June 25.The Speaker, however, in a press conference informed that he had relaxed the norms for the question hour. “The question hours have been fixed for the last two days of the session. I have relaxed the norms to allow members to ask questions by relaxing the minimum limit of 12 days. So far 67 questions have been received,” said Ram Niwas Goel, the Speaker. Goel also informed that Friday is reserved for private member’s bill and three bills are scheduled to be introduced in the Assembly.
Kolkata: A 18-year-old youth was killed in an accident at the AJC Bose Road flank of Vidyasagar Setu on Saturday morning. According to locals, the youth was doing stunts and driving his motorcycle without placing his hand on the handle bar.Police informed that on Saturday around 7:15 am Lalu Sahani was driving his motorcycle towards AJC Bose Road when he lost control over his two wheeler and rammed into the median divider. As a result, Sahani and the pillion rider, identified as Amit Balmiki, fell on the road. While Sahani sustained multiple injuries, Balmiki had minor injuries. The duo was immediately rushed to SSKM Hospital where Sahani was declared brought dead. Balmiki was provided with first aid and discharged later. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeFew eye-witnesses informed police that Sahani was riding the motorcycle at high speed without placing his hands on the handle bar. Sources informed that Sahani’s family members told cops that on Saturday morning when all the family members were asleep, Sahani took his elder brother’s motorcycle without informing him. They went to Princep Ghat and later went towards Howrah. The accident happened when Sahani was returning to Kolkata and tried to show stunts to his friend. Police also came to know that both of them were riding the motorcycle much above the speed limit without proper headgear. Though police questioned several eye-witnesses, sleuths are mulling to interrogate Balmiki to know what exactly happened. Also, cops are checking the Close Circuit Television camera footage to find out how the accident happened.
AMSTERDAM — New research by Carlson Wagonlit Travel found that while more than one-third (37%) of European travellers are concerned about safety and security, their counterparts from other regions worry more: travellers from the Americas including Canada express that nearly half (47%) of the time they worry about safety and security, while Asia Pacific travellers worry the most (56%).“Despite recent terrorist attacks, business travellers say they’re more worried about other things – and that’s surprising,” said Simon Nowroz, Carlson Wagonlit Travel’s chief marketing officer. “We found that, yes, the world seems scarier at times – but travellers believe they have more tools at their disposal to keep them informed and safe.”Terrorism ranks fifth (35%) among safety concerns, despite the high visibility of terrorist attacks. “Forgetting something needed for work” ranked higher (40%), as did “losing something important” (38%), “being robbed or attacked” (37%) and even “weather conditions” (37%).More news: TRAVELSAVERS welcomes Julie Virgilio to the teamThe CWT Connected Traveler survey of more than 1,900 individuals found that two-thirds (67%) of business travellers believe travel is safer today than in the past as they have more tools to mitigate safety concerns. Seven out of 10 travellers use at least one of their employer’s security protocols, such as traveler tracking or emergency contact profiles. And more than two-thirds (68%) buy travel insurance.One in five travellers said they have cancelled a trip due to concerns about their safety and security. And close to one-third (30%) say they’re worried about their health and wellbeing when it comes to travelling.Only 7% of Asia Pacific (APAC) travellers said they were “not concerned” about personal safety while traveling for business. That percentage rose to 12% for Americas travellers and 21% among Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) travellers. APAC travellers appear to be better prepared; according to the study, more than half (52%) of APAC travelers maintain an up-to-date emergency contact profile compared to 38% in the Americas and only 34% in EMEA.More news: Canada raises travel warning amid escalating protests in Hong KongAPAC travellers are also more likely to sign up for notifications of real-time risks (41%). Only 33% do in the Americas, while only 29% do from EMEA.“Today’s travellers are sophisticated,” said Nowroz. “They’re signing up for alerts, they’re paying attention to the news and they use the available tools at their disposal. So while travel may seem risky, they’re taking steps to stay safe.” Share What scares travellers? CWT’s fear factor survey goes worldwide << Previous PostNext Post >> Posted by Tags: Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Trend Watch Tuesday, October 31, 2017 Travelweek Group
Share1David Ruth713firstname.lastname@example.orgJeff Falk713email@example.comNASA must reinvest in nanotechnology research, according to new Rice University paperMatthews, Evans, Moloney and Carey: Nanotechnology will be critical to future missionsHOUSTON – (Oct. 16, 2012) – The United States may lose its leadership role in space to other countries unless it makes research and development funding and processes — especially in nanotechnology — a renewed and urgent priority, according to a new paper from Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy.The paper, “NASA’s Relationship with Nanotechnology: Past, Present and Future Challenges,” investigates how NASA has both guided and defunded cutting-edge nanotechnology development since 1996 at its own research facilities and in its collaborations with university scientists and laboratories. The research was conducted by a team at Rice that included Baker Institute science and technology policy fellow Kirstin Matthews, current Rice graduate student Kenneth Evans and former graduate students Padraig Moloney and Brent Carey. The paper sheds light on a broad field that holds tremendous potential for improving space flight by reducing the weight of spacecraft and developing smaller and more accurate sensors.This area of research, however, saw a dramatic cutback from 2004 to 2007, when NASA reduced annual nanotechnology R&D expenditures from $47 million to $20 million. NASA is the only U.S. federal agency to scale back investment in this area, the authors found, and it’s part of an overall funding trend at NASA. From 2003 to 2010, while the total federal science research budget remained steady between $60 billion and $65 billion (in constant 2012 dollars), NASA’s research appropriations decreased more than 75 percent, from $6.62 billion to $1.55 billion.The authors argue that the agency should restructure, refocus and strengthen its R&D programs.“The United States currently lacks a national space policy that ensures the continuity of research and programs that build on existing capabilities to explore space, and that has defined steps for human and robotic exploration of low-Earth orbit, the moon and Mars,” Matthews said. “With Congress and the president wrestling over the budget each year, it is vital that NASA present a clear plan for science and technology R&D that is linked to all aspects of the agency. This includes connecting R&D, with nanotechnology as a lead area, to applications related to the agency’s missions.”The authors said that to effectively engage in new technology R&D, NASA should strengthen its research capacity and expertise by encouraging high-risk, high-reward projects to help support and shape the future of U.S. space exploration“Failure to make these changes, especially in a political climate of flat or reduced funding, poses substantial risk that the United States will lose its leadership role in space to other countries — most notably China, Germany, France, Japan and Israel — that make more effective use of their R&D investments,” Matthews said.-30-For more information or to schedule an interview with Matthews, Evans, Moloney or Carey, contact Jeff Falk, associate director of national media relations at Rice, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-348-6775.Related materials:“NASA’s Relationship with Nanotechnology: Past, Present and Future Challenges” paper: www.bakerinstitute.org/policyreport54.Kirstin Matthews bio: http://bakerinstitute.org/personnel/fellows-scholars/kmatthews.Follow Rice News and Media Relations via Twitter @RiceUNewsFounded in 1993, the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University in Houston ranks among the top 20 university-affiliated think tanks globally and top 30 think tanks in the United States. As a premier nonpartisan think tank, the institute sponsors more than 20 programs that conduct research on domestic and foreign policy issues with the goal of bridging the gap between the theory and practice of public policy. The institute’s strong track record of achievement reflects the work of its endowed fellows and Rice University scholars. Learn more about the institute at www.bakerinstitute.org or on the institute’s blog, http://blogs.chron.com/bakerblog. AddThis