View comments Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. All systems go for Philippine Cup despite leadership squabble Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed LATEST STORIES 3 alleged bet collectors of ‘bookies’ nabbed in Quezon Pacquiao, manager fuel speculations of potential McGregor fight Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours MMA star Conor McGregor (left) downplayed an announcement by Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao (right) that they had opened talks for a fight. McGregor said he wanted to do a ‘true fight’ next, referring to mixed martial arts. AFP FILE PHOTOSNEW YORK, United States — Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor, touted as a potential opponent for Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao, has indicated he wants his next bout to be a return to the octagon rather than the ring.Caught on video by the celebrity news site while out and about in New York, McGregor was asked about Pacquiao’s announcement last week that he had opened talks to fight McGregor.ADVERTISEMENT “I think a true fight is what I want to do next,” McGregor says in the video posted online on Saturday. “MMA next.”Ireland’s McGregor hasn’t fought in mixed martial arts or boxing since losing a boxing bout to unbeaten Floyd Mayweather by a 10th-round technical knockout in their much-hyped bout in Las Vegas in August.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkShowtime sports released final figures on Friday showing the cross-combat superfight drew the second-most North American pay-per-view buys in history with 4.3 million.Only one other fight — Mayweather’s 2015 clash with Pacquiao — has ever drawn more, racking up 4.6 million pay-per-view buys. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Showtime said in a statement that global revenues, including ticket sales, sponsorship and international distribution, for Mayweather-McGregor had exceeded $600 million. /cbbSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Anti-Trump protests have shrunk. What’s it mean for 2020? Suspected drug pusher falls in Quezon sting MOST READ How Trump’s impeachment differs from a criminal trial Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award
…suspect nabbed while attempting to sell laptopJust hours after bandits broke into the car belonging to a soon-to-be wed couple from the media, within the vicinity of the Georgetown Marriott Hotel on Saturday, a suspect has been taken into custody after attempting to sell an item which was stolen during the robbery.Bandits had smashed a window to gain entry into the car parked on Battery Road, Kingston, as popular iNews reporter Ramona Luthi and her fiancé were in a pre-wedding photo shoot around 16:00h.The robbers managed to cart off the laptop computer, two camera lenses, a battery pack and several storage devices, as well as a handbag containing several important documents and a quantity of cash belonging to the couple and the photographer, all of whom are members of the media.Altogether, these items carry a value in excess of $500,000.Shortly after the incident, a prospective buyer of the Asus laptop computer, which went missing from the car, cancelled the transaction based on the suspicious actions of the perpetrator who was on a mission to sell the stolen item.The woman instead contacted the Police, allowing for ranks to intercept the suspect who was nabbed with the stolen item in his possession. In addition, one of the hard drives which were taken from the car was also retrieved.Meanwhile, the man has been taken into custody where his fingerprints are expected to be cross-checked with those that were lifted from the damaged vehicle.Investigations into the matter continue.
Another arrest of a former People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Government Minister has again sparked a debate about the motive behind these arrests by the Special organised Crime Unit (SOCU), and by extension, the David Grange-led Administration, which according to former Attorney General Anil Nandlall, is geared towards damaging the reputation of political opponents of the Government.He said the recent arrest of former Finance Minister Sasenarine Kowlessar came as no surprise to members of the Opposition as they have always felt that the motive has been clear from day one. “It is clear beyond any doubt that these investigations are driven by a political and vindictive motive.”Nandlall said, ultimately, this strategy is designed to get to the period when Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo was the Finance Minister. Jagdeo served as senior Finance Minister in May 1995 under Dr Cheddi Jagan. In December 1997, he was appointed as the second Vice President.While noting that constitutional immunities prevent them from charging Jagdeo while he was President, Nandlall is of the opinion that the coalition Government will go as far as it takes, even if it means going as far back as two decades to persecute him for transactions done while he was Finance Minister.But Nandlall said what is interesting to note is this period saw the sale of National Bank of Industry and Commerce Limited’s shares to Republic Bank, the sale of Stock Feeds and Neocal to Robert Badal, and the sale of Guyana Stores Limited to Tony Yassin; all of which are now labelled as “corrupt transactions.”Further, the MP feels the Government may not stop at Jagdeo but could see former Finance Minister Asgar Ally being questioned as well. “What I do know is that they will stop at October 5, 1992,” he added.“So they will not investigate the sale of Guyana Telecommunications Corporation to ATN; they will not investigate the sale of Demerara Timbers Limited, or the sale of over seven State-owned rice mills, or the sale of the National Paint Company or the sale to Carl Greenidge, while he was Minister of Finance, of a property at Bel-Air Gardens by NICIL – none of which was the subject of any form of tender and none of which were sold pursuant to any valuation certificates, or even at market value.”However, he reiterated that there is a principle of law which prevents investigations of certain transactions that took place several years ago, on the ground that it is unfair and against public policy to do so because of the lapse of time.“The rationale is that if persons were to be charged as a result of those investigations, it would amount to an abuse of process to subject those persons to a trial because of the lapse of memory, absence of evidence and absence of witnesses, etc,” he explained.He noted all of these will militate against an accused person having a fair trial which is guaranteed as a constitutional right because the law recognises that such a person may be unable to adequately defend himself in the circumstances. In addition to that, the local justice system protects against such eventuality in preservation of the doctrine of presumption of innocence.Nandlall therefore concluded that it is unfortunate that the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) does not see it as part of its constitutional mandate to protect the citizenry from these types of investigations, which are widely regarded as abusive and oppressive, but rather is part of the design that is promoting it. “If this is not the use of the criminal legal process to persecute political opponents, then I do not know what it is. Perhaps you can assist me,” he added.Sasenarine Kowlessar, who was recently arrested and questioned by SOCU, served as Jagdeo’s Finance Minister from 1999 to 2006. Prior to Kowlessar’s arrest, Dr Ashni Singh – also a former Finance Minister, and NICIL’s CEO were arrested, charged and placed on bail.The duo was charged for alleged misconduct in public office for the sale of several plots of land on the East Coast of Demerara without a valuation exercise. Jagdeo has declared that all three charges against Singh and Brassington are frivolous, and all three matters were approved by the Cabinet.The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is yet to respond to a written request by Nandlall to review the charges against Singh and Brassington. Yet, similar charges instituted by the PPP against five sitting Government Ministers have, on the other hand, been thrown out by the DPP.