Wilder KO’d Ortiz in a come-from-behind victory in their rematch Joshua analysed Wilder’s second knockout of Ortiz: “The good thing he does here, his back’s on the ropes against Ortiz, which is a dangerous place to be because on the ropes there’s no room to create space.“But what he does, he flicks the jab out to make Ortiz think, ‘Hang on a minute, there’s something coming back if I dive in.’“So Ortiz steps back and follows him across. What Wilder does as he’s moving round to get more space, from the ropes he’s moved around, he’s the general in the ring because he’s got all the space behind him.“Now Ortiz’s back is on the ropes, which is a very dangerous place for Ortiz, so Wilder’s done a great thing there to turn the tables.“He’s controlling with the lead hand. Not every jab is going to land, sometimes we just use it as a smokescreen to put something there.“And once that jab touches your hand, your shoulder, your face, I know this bad boy [the right hand] is going to follow.”Wilder’s run would eventually end due to the front-foot aggression of Fury, a different style to the one that Ortiz came so close with. – Advertisement – 1:10 Luis Ortiz may have sighed regretfully at seeing Deontay Wilder trounced by Tyson Fury earlier this year.It was Ortiz who, not once but twice, found himself within touching distance of ending Wilder’s fearsome reign – but on both occasions he succumbed to come-from-behind knockout punches.Now aged 41, Cuba’s heavyweight contender Ortiz is in last-chance saloon and is set to return on Saturday night against Alexander Flores. Wilder sensationally stopped Ortiz in their brilliant first fight Wilder sensationally stopped Ortiz in their brilliant first fight – Advertisement – Ortiz was, particularly from 2016 to 2018, considered to be an avoided and dangerous contender to the world heavyweight championships.Although he had a chance to face Anthony Joshua, promoter Eddie Hearn has said, and twice challenged Wilder, he possessed a reputation as a skilful southpaw that was better left alone.Ortiz’s left hand gave Wilder a shellacking in the seventh round of their first fight in 2018, wobbling the then-unbeaten WBC champion and coming within a whisker of an upset.Wilder said after battling back to end Ortiz’s unbeaten record: “He’s one of the best in the world. Nobody has given Ortiz an opportunity, even after I defeated him.“Normally after you knock somebody out, other guys are willing to fight him because they have seen weakness, chinks in the armour.“They didn’t want to fight Ortiz, they don’t want to fight him now.”
Four men have been arrested after they allegedly broke into a woman’s home and confined her for hours in an effort to steal her stimulus check.The incident occurred in Indiana around 1:00 A.M. Sunday.Officials at the Lake Station Police Department say the victim contacted them around 5:00 am stating that four men that she knew broke in to her home and held her against her will for hours to steal the check.The victim told police that one of the men immediately took her phone so that she could not call the police and another held her at gunpoint.The men eventually left but told the victim not to go anyway because they would be back.Once she was sure they were gone, the woman drove to the police station to report the incident.The four suspects, identified as Paul Blankenship, Phillip Guzman, Jacob Baughman, were located a short while later and arrested.They have since been charged with burglary with a deadly weapon, armed robbery, criminal confinement, among other charges.The men have all been taken to the Lake County Jail where they are being held on a $75,000 bond.
Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSPreakness looks for a new dateUNDATED (AP) — Days after the NFL revealed its hopes of conducting a normal regular season and playoffs, its chief medical officer is warning that nothing is a certainty during the coronavirus pandemic. April 3, 2020 Associated Press — The under-construction Athletes Village for the Tokyo Olympics could be used as a temporary hospital for coronavirus patients. Tokyo’s governor has been talking about the possibility of occupying the massive development on Tokyo Bay, which is to house up to 11,000 Olympic and 4,400 Paralympic athletes and staff during the games. The complex, which will eventually include 24 buildings, is expected to remain unoccupied with the Olympics delayed for 16 months.— Former marathon world record holder Wilson Kipsang was among 20 people arrested in Kenya for locking themselves in a bar and drinking alcohol in breach of a curfew imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic. Police say the 2012 Olympic bronze medalist was among those detained at a police station in Iten, one of Kenya’s famous high-altitude towns where distance runners train. They were in breach of a 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew.— NBC’s Mike Tirico is returning to hosting a daily talk show, which will focus on the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on the sports world. The hour-long “Lunch Talk Live” will air weekdays beginning at noon EDT on NBCSN. Tirico will host the show remotely from his home in Michigan.COLLEGE CORRUPTION-NC STATERALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina State’s NCAA case involving recruiting violations tied to former Wolfpack one-and-done star Dennis Smith Jr. has been recommended to go through an independent investigation process created for complex cases. UNDATED (AP) — A unique Hall of Fame class will be announced Saturday in a unique way.Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are all expected to be officially announced as part of the 2020 class of enshrinees by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.The selections are typically revealed at college basketball’s Final Four. But with sports shut down because of the global coronavirus pandemic, the announcement will be televised from ESPN’s studios in Bristol, Connecticut.Bryant, Duncan and Garnett, with a combined 11 championships and 48 All-Star seasons between them, are all first-time finalists and locks to be in this class. Only six players in NBA history have been selected to 15 or more All-Star Games — and Bryant, Duncan and Garnett are three of them.There are five additional finalists alongside Bryant, Duncan and Garnett: Tamika Catchings, Rudy Tomjanovich (tahm-JAHN’-oh-vich), Eddie Sutton, Barbara Stevens and Kim Mulkey. Five men had sued MLB, MLB Advanced Media, the Houston Astros and the Boston Red Sox in federal court in Manhattan, claiming fraud, violation of consumer-protection laws, negligence, unjust enrichment and deceptive trade practices by teams that violated MLB’s rules against the use of electronics to steal catchers’ signs. The five participated in fantasy contests hosted by DraftKings from 2017-19.Judge Jed S. Rakoff noted that the desire to win has resulted in the use of spit, corked bats and steroid use. In a line from the 1956 movie musical High Society, Rakoff quoted Frank Sinatra, who famously said to Grace Kelly “there are rules about such things.“ He wrote that the lawsuit had no legal basis.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Dr. Allen Sills, a neurosurgeon who has been with the NFL since 2017, says he and other league and team medical personnel have been in constant communication with health officials throughout the country, looking at the same data they are using to make public recommendations. The NFL also has consulted with the other major sports leagues and the players’ union.In other developments related to the pandemic:—The U.S. Tennis Association says its best not to play the sport right now because of the coronavirus pandemic. In a posting on its website on Friday, the USTA called it “in the best interest of society to take a collective pause” from tennis. The statement from the organization that runs the U.S. Open Grand Slam tournament said there have not been specific studies about tennis and the COVID-19 illness. But there is “the possibility” that it could be transferred among people via sharing and touching of tennis balls, net posts, court surfaces, benches or gate handles.— The Preakness is looking for a new date for the Triple Crown race normally held on the third Saturday in May. The owners of Pimlico Race Course and the Maryland Jockey Club have also decided to cancel the infield party on race day. The Preakness usually draws more than 100,000 fans, most of whom gather on the infield, where patrons can enjoy beer, food and free concerts. The Kentucky Derby was previously postponed from May 2 to Sept. 5.— The U.S. Women’s Open is moving from the end of spring to the middle of December. The USGA says the Women’s Open at Champions Golf Club in Houston is moving from June 4-7 to Dec. 10-13. That would be the latest a major championship is played. It also would be the first time an official LPGA Tour event was held entirely in December since 2010. The LPGA has also postponed or canceled the next five events on its schedule. All but the Pure Silk Championship are getting new dates later in the year. In a statement Friday, athletics spokesman Fred Demarest said the school must respond by April 14 to the recommendation. Demarest said officials are “reviewing and evaluating our options.”The NCAA created the Independent Accountability Resolution Process (IARP) last year, a product of proposals from the commission led by former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in 2018 to reform college basketball amid a federal corruption investigation into the sport. The process includes independent investigators and decision-makers with no direct ties to NCAA member schools, and rulings cannot be appealed.The NCAA has alleged ex-assistant Orlando Early provided Smith and his associates approximately $46,700 in impermissible benefits – including $40,000 that a government witness testified he delivered to Early intended for Smith’s family in 2015.BASKETBALL HALL OF FAMEBasketball Hall of Fame set to announce 2020 class Update on the latest sports The Lions also acquired cornerback Desmond Trufant this offseason.In other NFL news:—The NFC champion San Francisco 49ers have signed two ninth-year pros to one-year deals in free agency. One of them is Travis Benjamin. He’s a wide receiver and punt returner who played the last four seasons with the Chargers. His 2019 season was cut short by a quadriceps injury. The other, offensive lineman Tom Compton, has played for five NFL teams in his career and was with the Jets last season. The Chicago Bears declared the quarterback competition between Mitchell Trubisky and newcomer Nick Foles an open one on Friday. General manager Ryan Pace made that clear during a conference call, saying both players are “embracing” the battle that will play out whenever offseason workouts begin.—Cleveland Browns linebacker and Ohio State two-way star Jim Houston has been diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Donna Houston says her husband donated his brain to Boston University to be studied. Houston won a state championship at Ohio powerhouse Massillon, led the Buckeyes to a Rose Bowl victory and was a member of the Cleveland Browns team that won the NFL title in 1964 — the last for the franchise. NFL-LIONS-ROBERTSLions agree to deal with CB Darryl RobertsALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) — The Detroit Lions have agreed to terms with free agent cornerback Darryl Roberts.The Lions announced the move Friday. Roberts spent the past four seasons with the New York Jets.Roberts has started 10 games in each of the past two seasons. He joins a Detroit secondary that is moving on without star cornerback Darius Slay, who was traded to Philadelphia last month. — The WNBA has postponed the start of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league was set to open training camps on April 26 and the regular season was to begin on May 15. The WNBA will still hold a “virtual” draft on April 17. Two WNBA cities are major hot spots for the virus: New York and Seattle. The WNBA, which was set to begin its 24th season, is the longest running professional women’s sports league.— The International Swimming League will fund its athletes through next year’s rescheduled Tokyo Olympics, starting with payments in September. The league says every athlete who has signed or will sign a contract with an ISL club will receive an equal amount of money per month. No financial details were provided. The ISL also plans a five-week combined training and competition event this year from Oct. 14 to Nov. 17 at a site yet to be determined.— The Ottawa Senators are making temporary layoffs and salary reductions because of COVID-19. The team’s parent company says the full-time workforce will be reduced starting Sunday, when the NHL club’s season was originally scheduled to end. Those not laid off could be placed on furlough. Others could have their salaries reduced. Health benefits will continue uninterrupted.— Anaheim Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli say they will pay their 2,100 part-time employees across all of their sports and event management companies through June 30 for work that was wiped out by the coronavirus pandemic. The Samuelis’ Anaheim Arena Management company operates Honda Center, the Ducks’ home rink. They also own two large ice hockey complexes in Orange County.— Major League Soccer has extended its training moratorium through April 24 because of the coronavirus outbreak. Team facilities are closed to players and staff — except for players requiring treatment that cannot be administered at their homes. Players are expected to remain in market with their teams during the moratorium to avoid the spread of the virus. The league will consider individual requests for players to travel to another city by car. MLS teams were two games into the season when it was suspended on March 12. “The National Hockey League is appalled that a video call arranged today by the New York Rangers to introduce their fans to one of the league’s incoming stars, K’Andre Miller, was hacked with racist, cowardly taunts.Miller recently signed with the Rangers after completing his sophomore season at Wisconsin. The 6-foot-5 defender is from St. Paul, Minnesota.MLB-ASTROS FAN-LAWSUITFederal judge tosses fan lawsuit vs. MLB, Astros, Red SoxNEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by fantasy sports contestants who claimed they were damaged by sign stealing in Major League Baseball. NHL-RANGERS-RACIST HACKERHacker posts racial slur on fan chat with black NHL playerNEW YORK (AP) — A hacker posted a racial slur 45 times in an online fan video chat Friday with a black New York Rangers prospect.The NHL team scrambled to disable the hacker it called “a vile individual” on the Zoom chat with K’Andre Miller, the 20-year-old former Wisconsin defenseman drafted No. 22 overall in 2018.“The NHL also released a statement, saying: