Governor Tom Wolf and First Lady Frances Wolf Announce Summer 2018 Public Events Schedule at the Governor’s Residence

first_imgGovernor Tom Wolf and First Lady Frances Wolf Announce Summer 2018 Public Events Schedule at the Governor’s Residence June 07, 2018 First Lady Frances Wolf,  Governor’s Residence,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf and First Lady Frances Wolf today announced the Summer 2018 public event schedule at the Governor’s Residence in Harrisburg, and invited the public to visit the Residence this Sunday, June 10th for a “Summer Reading Festival.” Second Sundays are an annual series of free summer events offered at the Governor’s Residence on the second Sunday of each month from June through September. Visitors are invited to explore the Governor’s Residence and gardens from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Each event will highlight a specific theme and feature family-friendly activities.“Tom and I look forward to opening the Residence to the public throughout the year, and this summer is truly special because we are celebrating the 50th anniversary of this magnificent home,” said First Lady Frances Wolf. “From Second Sundays, to National Night Out, to a festive 50th anniversary block party – these events are opportunities for us to showcase Pennsylvania and all that our commonwealth has to offer.”June’s event will feature guest readers — including the First Lady – for outdoor story time, STEM activities for school-aged children, kids yoga in the garden, and “MARCO,” Dauphin County Library’s mobile exploration station that will encourage kids to sign up for the library’s summer reading program.Governor’s Residence docents will also be on hand to provide information for visitors as they explore the indoor space and the gardens through self-guided tours. This event will provide one of the last opportunities for the public to view the current art exhibit by Lancaster-based photographer Kristin Rehder. Where Hope Finds Home documents the stories of refugees from all over the world who have resettled in Lancaster County. It will remain on display through June 30.Public events at the Governor’s Residence events are free, and reservations are not required. No large bags, purses or totes are permitted, and security measures will be in place. The dates and themes of the 2018 events are as follows:Sunday, June 10:      Summer Reading FestivalSunday, July 8:         Family Eating From the FarmTuesday, August 7:  National Night OutSunday, August 12:  50th Anniversary Block PartySunday, Sept. 9:        Children’s Arts and Crafts DayIn addition to Second Sunday events, docent-led tours of the Governor’s Residence and grounds are being offered every Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. between now and the end of June. Please note that reservations are required for guided tours, and can be made by calling the Residence at 717-772-9130. For more information about the Governor’s Residence, Second Sundays and other events, visit http://www.residence.pa.gov/.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Wladimir Klitschko pulls out of Tyson Fury fight with calf injury

first_imgWladimir Klitschko has been forced to withdraw from his world heavyweight title fight with Britain’s Tyson Fury on October 24 due to a calf injury, but a new date for the bout is set to be announced next week according to the Ukraine world champion’s camp.“Of course I’m mad sorry, (both) for my fans but also for my opponent Tyson Fury,” he told German newspaper Bild. The world champion Klitschko was due to put his WBO, WBA, IBF and IBO belts on the line at the ESPRIT Arena in Dusseldorf against the British contender, but apparently suffered an injury to his leg in training, pulling a tendon in his right calf.A new date for the fight will be announced next week, according to Klitschko’s manager Bernd Bonte.Fury prompted plenty of publicity earlier this week by arriving at a pre-fight press conference dressed as Batman.The new fight will take place at the same 55,000-capacity venue in Dusseldorf with tickets remaining valid from the cancelled fight for the rescheduled bout.Fury will be hugely frustrated by this latest news after former world champion and fellow Brit David Haye twice withdrew from fights with him due to injury. He was quick to post his reaction on Twitter: His tweet read: “It’s safe to say I’m hitting the drink right now gutted. woooop woooop #f**kklitschko”–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Conor McGregor vs. Cowboy purse, salaries: How much money will they make at UFC 246?

first_imgMeanwhile, Cerrone is coming off back-to-back losses against Justin Gaethje in September and Tony Ferguson in June — both by TKO — perhaps signaling that McGregor will have even more pressure on him to dole out a similar result.This fight being so important to McGregor is also reflected in his pay. Here’s a guide to everything you need to know about the McGregor vs. Cerrone purse, each fighter’s net worth and their records entering the bout.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a year (Getty Images) https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/sporting_news/c/3f/mcgregor-cerrone-getty-011819-ftrjpg_s0o60y2tuyvm1xtfx1cqwhdpv.jpg?t=-1168100153&w=500&quality=80 The stakes are always high when Conor McGregor steps into the Octagon. Saturday night will be no different, as McGregor makes his return against Donald Cerrone in the main event of UFC 246 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.McGregor lost his last time out via a fourth-round submission to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October of 2018. Prior to that, the last time he tasted victory was way back in November of 2016, when he rocked Eddie Alvarez with a second-round TKO. McGregor vs. Cerrone fight purse, prize moneyMcGregor will earn at least a $3 million purse for headlining the main event of UFC 246 against Donald Cerrone, as reported by ESPN. However, when speaking with ESPN’s Ariel Helwani earlier in the week, McGregor predicted that his total earnings from the event will swell up to an estimated $80 million. He told ESPN that he earned an estimated $50 million for his fight against Nurmagomedov.Meanwhile, Cerrone will pocket $200,000 just to show up and enter the Octagon and could gain another $200,000 with a victory, per ESPN.What is Conor McGregor’s net worth?According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, McGregor’s net worth is listed as $120 million, and that’s not including what he stands to make in his main event against Cerrone. McGregor also ranked No. 21 on the Forbes list of the world’s highest-paid athletes for 2019. Forbes additionally reported that McGregor earned around $100 million for his August 2017 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.With subsequent fights this year plus his Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey, August McGregor Clothing and multimillion-dollar deal with Reebok, McGregor could drive up his net worth significantly in 2020. What is Donald Cerrone’s net worth?In nearly 15 years as a pro, Cerrone has amassed a net worth of $9 million, according to CelebrityNetWorth.com. Conor McGregor’s career recordIn 25 professional fights, McGregor stands at 21-4, having defeated the likes of Eddie Alvarez, Nate Diaz, Jose Aldo, Dustin Poirier and Max Holloway. His four losses have come against Nurmagomedov and Diaz in the UFC and Joseph Duffy and Artemij Sitenkov prior to joining the company. McGregor avenged his March 2016 submission loss to Diaz by beating him via majority decision just over five months later.Donald Cerrone’s career recordCerrone joined the UFC in February of 2011 and has totaled the most wins in the company’s history. Through the years, Cerrone (36-13, 1 no-contest) has registered wins over Al Iaquinta, Alexander Hernandez, Mike Perry, Eddie Alvarez and Edson Barboza. Will his 51st pro fight be his most memorable?last_img read more

SPSCC Presidential Candidate Stokes To Visit Community And College On December…

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by South Puget Sound Community CollegeOLYMPIA – The last of five candidates for president of South Puget Sound Community College will visit the campus and community, Tuesday, Dec. 11.  Dr. Timothy S. Stokes, executive vice president for Academic and Student Affairs at Tacoma Community College in Tacoma, Washington, will tour the campus and community, meet faculty and staff, visit with the Board of Trustees, and take part in an open forum for the community and campus.Prior to his tenure at Tacoma Community College, Stokes served as vice president for Student Learning at Texas State Technical College and executive director of the Southwest Arkansas Technology Learning Center at Henderson State University. During Stokes’ tenure as Tacoma Community College’s executive vice president for Academic and Student Affairs, the college has been nationally recognized for its adaptation and implementation of technology, closing the achievement gap in one of the most diverse communities in the Pacific Northwest, and for developing innovative instructional programs that aid in the economic development of the greater South Puget Sound.  Stokes is active on numerous community and workforce development boards and has a history of ensuring alignment of institutional goals with regional economic development goals..The Dec. 11 forum will be held on the South Puget Sound campus in the Building 26 Lecture Hall, Room 105 from 2:15 – 3:15 p.m.  Four other candidates have or will have visited the community on the following dates:*   Tuesday, Dec. 4. – Dr. Larry Galizio, president of Clatsop Community College in Astoria, Oregon*   Wednesday, Dec. 5. – Dr. Douglas W. Allen, president of Ridgewater College in Willmar, Minnesota*   Thursday, Dec. 6. – Dr. Sandra A. Fowler-Hill, executive vice president of Instruction and Student Services at Everett Community College*   Monday, Dec. – 10. Dr. David M. Smith, vice president of Instruction and Student Affairs at Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangely, ColoradoMembers of the public are encouraged to attend the forums.last_img read more

PRIZE EXHIBIT GAME LATE & WINS GRADE II, $200,000 MONROVIA STAKES BY A NOSE UNDER GONZALEZ; CASSIDY TRAINEE GETS 6 ½ FURLONGS DOWN HILLSIDE TURF IN 1:12.96

first_imgTWO-DAY PICK SIX CARRYOVER OF $378,187 INTO THURSDAY, TOTAL PICK SIX POOL SHOULD EXCEED $1.5 MILLION ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 3, 2016)–In her first-ever try down Santa Anita’s unique hillside turf course, English-bred Prize Exhibit proved gamest late, as she prevailed by a nose over Shrinking Violet to take Sunday’s Grade II, $200,000 Monrovia Stakes under Santiago Gonzalez. Trained by Jim Cassidy and owned by Deron Pearson’s DP Racing, Prize Exhibit got the 6 ½ furlongs on turf in 1:12.96.“She’s a superior horse,” said Gonzalez. “She runs better races than these other horses regularly and she showed her class today. She has a lot of speed. I can wait, and wait with her and I know she can still get there with her speed.”A close fourth after the first half mile, the winner hit the front crossing the dirt at the top of the lane and wouldn’t be denied late as she battled head and head with the runner-up the final eighth. Off at 7-1 in a field of 11 older fillies and mares, she paid $17.80, $7.60 and $4.20.A 4-year-old filly by Showcasing, Prize Exhibit was most recently sixth, beaten 3 ½ lengths in the Grade I Matriarch Stakes at Del Mar Nov. 29. The Monrovia is her third graded stakes win and her sixth overall victory from 20 starts. With the winner’s share of $120,000, she improved her earnings to $530,800.“I didn’t think she’d have any problem (coming down the hillside turf) unless she started idling, trying to figure out what the heck this is all about, which she has a tendency to do,” said Cassidy. “I was a little upset we were that close, but when it opened up for her, he rode her perfect and she’s a hard horse to ride. You could see down the lane she was out there in the clear and kind of looking around, so she can be difficult, but she got it done.”Ridden by Kent Desormeaux, Shrinking Violet was well back in eighth position after a half and rallied inside the winner turning for home, but was just outrun late. Off at 6-1, she finished a half length in front of favored Ageless and paid $7.40 and $4.00.“She’s not fond of soft ground,” said Desormeaux. “I think she ran her eyeballs out, but she got beat a nose in a situation she doesn’t care to be in. Not to mention, she’s been of a while (Sept. 14) so I don’t think it would have mattered as much if she was racing with one (race) under her belt.”Ridden by Julien Leparoux, Ageless came off a pair of turf sprint stakes wins at Woodbine and Keeneland and was making a steady late gain wide-out but never threatened the winner. Off at 6-5, she paid $2.60 to show.“No real excuses,” said Leparoux. “The course is the same for everybody. She had a little layoff (Oct. 9) but she ran her race. It looks like she came back good and hopefully, she’ll be good for the rest of the year.”Fractions on the race were 21.33, 43.52 and 1:06.64.Racing resumes at Santa Anita on Thursday, and there is a hefty two-day Pick Six carryover of $378,187. Thursday’s total Pick Six pool should exceed $1.5 million. First post time for an eight-race card on Thursday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.last_img read more