Ryan Sessegnon has committed his future to Fulham by signing a three-year contract.The Roehampton-born 17-year-old’s new deal – his first professional contract – comes after months of speculation that he could leave Craven Cottage this summer.He was linked with several Premier League clubs, including Chelsea, but opted to stay with the Whites.“I’m excited to see what’s in front of me at this club. Hopefully we can all push on now,” he told Fulham’s website.Sessegnon, who can play at left-back or further forward, has been at Fulham since 2008, as has his twin brother Steven.He made his senior debut in August last year and has made a total of 30 first-team appearances, scoring seven goals.Fulham’s vice-chairman and director of football operations Tony Khan said: “Ryan’s debut season with the first team was spectacular and we are so proud of this very special young man.” Parker announces retirementScott Parker has decided to end his playing career.The 36-year-old, whose Fulham contract expires at the end of this week, announced his retirement on Wednesday afternoon.Parker, who spent four years at Craven Cottage, captained England during a 19-year career that included an 18-month spell at Chelsea.He also played for Tottenham, Newcastle, West Ham and Charlton.A statement issued by Parker explained: “The decision to retire has not been an easy one for me but having thought long and hard over it, and having discussed it with those closest to me, I believe that now is the right time to move on to the next chapter in my life and career.” Gladwin leaves QPRBen Gladwin has completed his move from QPR to Blackburn for an undisclosed fee.West London Sport recently revealed that Blackburn wanted to sign the midfielder and subsequently also revealed that the move was set to go through.Gladwin, 25, has signed a two-year contract at Ewood Park. Doughty likely to go as wellEmbed from Getty ImagesQPR are ready to let Michael Doughty leave for Peterborough.West London Sport revealed in May that Posh are hoping to sign the midfielder, who has a year remaining on his contract at Loftus Road.Following talks between the two clubs, Rangers have told the League One outfit they can sign Doughty if they are able to agree personal terms with him.Rangers boss Ian Holloway recalled Doughty from a season-long loan at Swindon Town in January, insisting he rated the 24-year-old highly and wanted to give him a chance in the first team.However, Doughty started just two matches under Holloway – and has made just 12 first-team appearances for Rangers in total, nine of them as a substitute. No enquiries about SmithiesQPR have so far received no enquiries about Alex Smithies despite speculation over the goalkeeper’s future.Smithies, who signed a new contract in February, was outstanding for the R’s last season.His former club Huddersfield’s recent promotion to the Premier League prompted reports that he could rejoin them this summer.He was previously linked with a number of other clubs, but there has so far been no sign of any interest in the 27-year-old. Mackrell to face Hillsborough chargeEmbed from Getty ImagesA former QPR employee is among six people who will be prosecuted over the Hillsborough disaster.Graham Mackrell will be accused of breaching Health and Safety and Safety at Sports Ground legislation in relation to the tragedy at Sheffield Wednesday’s ground in May 1989.Mackrell was Wednesday’s club secretary and safety officer at the time.He was given the role of chief operating officer at QPR by the then club chairman Gianni Paladini in August 2006, but left just three months later.Last year, new inquests into the disaster at the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup semi-final concluded the 96 fans who died had been unlawfully killed. Kerschbaumer loan moveEmbed from Getty ImagesBrentford midfielder Konstantin Kerschbaumer has joined German second-tier side DSC Arminia Bielefelda on a season-long loan.Kerschbaumer, who turns 25 this week, moved to Griffin Park from FC Admira Wacker Mödling for an undisclosed fee two years ago.The Bees have inserted a clause in his contract, which expires in 2019, giving the club the option of extending it to 2020.A similar deal led to Brentford recently extending Jota’s contract by a year. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
[vemba-video id=”van/sc/2019/05/24/bang_f0007ae7-8a09-4047-a750-6468801bb63a”] OAKLAND — Will either Kevin Durant or DeMarcus Cousins play in the NBA Finals? The Warriors do not have definitive answers. They sound optimistic, though.The Warriors said in a statement that it is “anticipated that he will play at some point during the 2019 NBA Finals.” But with Cousins practicing on Thursday for the first time since tearing his left quadricep muscle in Game 2 of the Warriors’ first-round series …
4 May 2015South African born and raised tech entrepreneur Elon Musk at a presentation in the US on Thursday night announced the development of a new battery system that can store solar energy for later use.The battery, known as the Powerwall, addresses a key obstacle to wider use of renewable energy sources: “The obvious problem with solar power is that the sun does not shine at night,” he said at the Los Angeles-area design studio of his electric car company, Tesla Motors. The Tesla Powerwall is a home battery designed to store solar energy. (Image: Tesla Motors) That means energy grids using solar power still need backup sources of electricity. In South Africa and the US, this is largely generated by power plants burning coal or natural gas.But the batteries to be produced by the new company, Tesla Energy, are “the missing piece” to wider reliance on solar power, he said, storing energy generated when the sun shines for use when it doesn’t.Ability to ‘power a small city’“The goal is complete transformation of the entire energy infrastructure of the world, to completely sustainable zero carbon,” Musk told reporters.Tesla Energy will produce batteries for residential use, and scalable battery systems with capacity up to 1 GWh that “can power a small city” like Boulder, Colorado, Musk said.The Tesla Powerwall, stackable batteries for residential use, each with a capacity of 10 kWh, will sell for $3 500 each (about R41 500) and would be available in three to four months.The device, which is about 15cm thick, 1.2m tall and 90cm wide, will be a boon for under-developed regions, where power is often unreliable despite abundant solar energy. “This is going to be really great for the poorest communities in the world. This allows you to be completely off-grid.”In 2012, the average US household used about 11 380 kWh of electricity per year. German households averaged 3 413 kWh per year.In a 2013 report, the US Department of Energy said storage “can ‘smooth’ the delivery of power generated from wind and solar technologies, in effect, increasing the value of renewable power”.Electricity storage is “the thing that’s needed to have a proper transition to a sustainable energy world”, Musk said.Musk runs the US’s second-largest manufacturer of solar cells, Solar City, as well as the electric car pioneer Tesla Motors and space transport producer SpaceX.Source: DPA/News24
Following his party’s worst-ever drubbing in the Lok Sabha polls in Uttar Pradeh, Congress general secretary Jyotiraditya Scindia on Friday met the party’s State leaders to assess what went wrong in the elections.Mr. Scindia, who was made in-charge of western U.P. and given the responsibility of 38 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in the State, failed to ensure a single victory. A Congress leader who attended the meeting said he spoke to the district and city unit chiefs of the organisation to find out the possible causes behind the rout. Two days ago, party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, entrusted with the task of managing polls in the remaining 42 seats in the eastern U.P., carried out a similar exercise in Raebareli, which was the only seat won by the party this time from the State. UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi was re-elected from Raebareli, while Congress president Rahul Gandhi, her son, lost his Amethi seat. Brainstorming sessionMs. Vadra has asked senior U.P. Congress leaders to attend a brainstorming session in Delhi over the weekend to chart out the strategy to contest the 2022 U.P. Assembly polls.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Defence Minister A K Antony on Friday joined Vijay Kumar ‘s family members in congratulating the Indian shooter for winning a silver medal at the London Olympic Games.”I join the nation in congratulating shooter Vijay Kumar for winning Olympic silver medal in the 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event,” Singh said in his message.Antony also congratulated Vijay for winning the silver medal in the 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event at the Royal Artillery Barracks in London.In his congratulatory message the minister stated, “I congratulate Subedar Vijay Kumar for bringing laurels to the country. The defence forces are proud of him.” Army chief Bikram Singh and the deputy chief Lt Gen Ramesh Halgali also praised the shooter belonging to the 16th Dogra Regiment.”It is result of his untiring effort, dedication and will to win which are hallmarks of Indian army,” Singh said.”We are proud of him and this medal is a result of hard work by him and the military training,” Halgali added.BJP also congratulated Kumar for his success and achievement.”We congratulate Vijay Kumar for winning a silver medal for the country. It’s a moment of pride for the nation. We wish him best on behalf of the nation and our party,” BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said here.An ecstatic father of Kumar attributed his son’s Olympic success to the years of hard work and discipline inculcated in him by the Indian Army.”I don’t have words to express my feelings. Full credit to Indian army which supported his training and the discipline that he inculcated is because of the defence background. He has made the country proud and also put Himachal Pradesh’s name in the sporting history,” Subedar Banku Ram told mediapersons.advertisement